Melting Dash / Tach

Dr.Jekyll

Registered
Hey everyone...I am new to the board. Bought my Bus back in mid-March. I have put a Sportech V-Flow see thru chrome windscreen on it as well D&D slip-ons. Over the past month or so (maybe longer) I have noticed the centerpiece of my tach needle slowly melting...yes I said melting...away. As time has passed the dash up above the tach around the oil pressure light has gotten deformed and looks like it's melting too. I live in Manassas, VA., and I bought the bike from Coleman's Powersport in Woodbridge, VA., where it is now for service and to fix the tach and dash. The people at Coleman's said that it could be the chrome windscreen acting like a magnifying glass and melting the dash and tach. Is that possible? They are being good about it though and replacing everything under warranty. I like the windscreen but should I replace it maybe? If so, what to get?

I bought Mine in Mid march also. My Dash outer trim by the FI light is deformed now this happened about a month ago. The only time My bike is outside is when It's being ridden It does not sit out other wise. I'm running a Powerbronze Doubble bubble.

The only time mine is out is when I am riding it too. But it is the same thing...deformed, melted. My dash cover is melted above the tach, inside the tach, and the needle is shot too. I do not think it is the windscreen. After it gets replaced, I am asking for the old parts back to inspect. Keep an eye on it though...

asking if you should replace it maybe? If you cant answer that yourself then there is no help. If you dont replace it and it is the problem, its going to happen again. so do you think you should replace it.. You were smart enough to buy a busa, you gotta be smart enough to answer this yourself... good luck...:)

asking if you should replace it maybe? If you cant answer that yourself then there  is no help. If you dont replace it and it is the problem, its going to happen again. so do you think you should replace it.. You were smart enough to buy a busa, you gotta be smart enough to answer this yourself... good luck...:)
rock.gif

I think jfk is trying to tell you that it WILL melt again and the second time around it won't be covered.

Seriously, what do you think is melting it? The delicate electronics within the dash components? They're making all that blazing heat and yet the gauges still work?
Think about it, the OUTSIDE of the dash is deforming...if the heat was coming from within the fairing everything under there would be a melted blob before any damage started to appear outside.
It's not like you have mysterious exhaust pipes running under your dash. The only thing under there putting out a small amount of heat is the headlight and it protrudes well away from the dash.

Too bad as I think the chrome shields look really nice on the Busa. Technically it's probably not even the chrome coating but the way the shield is formed giving it a magnifying glass effect.

Yes it is the windsceen. It will act like a magnifying glass and cook the instrument cluster. Even while you ride there is not enough air flow to over come the extreme heat caused by thoose types of windscreens.

Back