Dash warp or melt

rybraun

Registered
I went for a 20 ninute ride and when I got back the top of the dash above the tach appears to be warped or melted. Anyone have this happen it's an 02 with only 3000 miles.

somebody else posted that question a while back but cant remember what they decided the reason was
wink.gif

puig screens can do this, Yeah I didn't believe it at first either, but even in their own literature they spell it right out...

I think V-Tech also had a problem with thier screens doing this too. The way some screens are shaped, they can focus the sunlight like a magnifying glass and warp the dash. I'd say your ZG screen is to blame.......

Never heard of a ZG doing it. Just the early Sportech v-flows...... THe newer ones have a grid on the inside to prevent it. Had mine a year and had no problems, though.

One of our guys up here had it happen after he washed his bike, then took it out wet. He believes the steam coming up from the engine melted the guage housing.

Looks like we need Myth Busters to figure this one out.

P.

sportech also had that problem with there transparent chrome screens.

The magnifying glass effect does it can happen with almost any screen with light inhibitors in it.

My Puig race screen came with a sticker on it that says not to park bike in direct sunlight or it may magnify suns rays and melt the dash wtf?

Never heard of a ZG doing it.  Just the early Sportech  v-flows......  THe newer ones have a grid on the inside to prevent it.  Had mine a year and had no problems, though.
The newer ZGs or the newer Sportechs have the grid?

I've got to watch for this because I have ZG screen. My bike is always moving or in the garage, but there could be an occaision when I will have to park it in the sun for a while. I'd be pissed if I came back and had a warped dash.

<!--EDIT|FAVahalik
Reason for Edit: None given...|1136998327 -->

Honestly I have never heard of Zero Gravity screens doing this. I think they are shaped different enough to avoid the tight focus needed to generate enough heat, Accidentally or on purpose. Either That, or my Busa is just fire proof, it pent many days out in the direct sunlight in Florida facing south no less with no troubles at all.
smile.gif

Seriously though, I know Puig's come with a warning to keep your bike in the dark.
laugh.gif
But I have never heard of a Zero Gravity Screen melting anything.

ZG have the same warning. every curved transparent surface can be magnifying glass at some point. I don`t think that smoked screens can do it ...

Puig warning " Due to optical characteristics of this screen blade,it is possible that direct sunlight will be concertrated into a small area,like a magnifying glass.This could,in rare occasion result in damage to outher external items.We advise you yhat screen should not be placed stationary in direct sunlight."

Back