MARTIAL ARTS:

I can't stick with one for a long time. Kickboxing, 5 animal kungfu, Shalion longfist, White crane, Karate. I just keep switching plan on taking gung fu soon.
"gung fu"

You mean "chi gung"? Very interesting martial art. Bet you will have a hard time finding training though. Chi Gung experts tend to keep their secrets to themselves on the really cool stuff. At best, they would let you in on the basics...

Cloud
Bruce started out with gung fu. Chi gung would be cool though

Everyone on this post needs to watch Jackie Chans old movies. Especially Shalion arts of Snake and Crane. If you can find it. If you like martial arts there are a lot of old Jackie Chan movies. There very hard to find but worth it.

Hey Juggler, it's called Sinanju and the movie was based on a long series of novels called "The Executioner".  It's too bad they didn't do so well with the movie.  It would have been cool to see a few of those novels hit the big screen.
Mack Bolan by Don Pendleton I have the first 73 of those novels!  Excellent series!

-V
Man I can't believe there is someone else that has read the Executioner series. I couldn't find them all, but what i read was great.

thanks for the stroll down memory lane

REMO IS THE MAN ---

Shorei Goju....its a japanese style of karate.

Some kickboxing (not Thai style) and boxing. The stuff has been very useful. Still can take a strong kick or punch in the gut. Haven't gotten fat like my friends...still in pretty good shape. More to the point for us busa owners, the martial arts gave us discipline and most important better reflexes, reaction times and judgement. These things might just save our lives not only in conflict, but on our bikes with all these nasty cages.....

Remo Williams....wasn't that the guy who dodged bullets and swung from the rafters to catch the bad guys?

Sorry for all these posts....just getting all these memories flooding my mind....

do you all remember the old Billy Jack movies? Remember that famous scene in the park where he is surrounded by 20 guys. The sheriff threatens him....

"you think with all your karate tricks you can beat all my boys"...

Billy Jack: " Well I'm not sure but you know what I am sure off?'

Sheriff: " What's that?"

Billy Jack: " I am going to take my right foot and plant it right on here (points to right side of sheriffs face) and you know something...there isn't a damn thing you will be able to do about it.

Then Tom Laughlin executes the most perfect crescent kick right in his face standing less than a foot away from him. Classic scene. He goes on to beat the heck out of most of the 20 guys but finally gets whacked when he spends too much time on one man. (major rule violation in multiple man self defense....never spend too much time beating up one guy cuz the other will whack you.)

funny, Remo is on as I read this post
wink.gif
actually Chun is running across the water as I type
tounge.gif

32 years of kikabrotha indadingdong (kick a brotha in the ding dong)
laugh.gif

Naw seriously no experience here, but what do you guys know about hapkido? Considering taking it myself. I want something for conditioning, grappling, defense and offense. Lotta expertise here so I appreciate any assistance.

God bless,
BD

I suggest taking alot of different types you rememder everything thats works from each. and forget evrything that doesn't work because every style has things that aren't effective. You also remember everything that looks cool. and everything that makes you look like a idiot. my opinion

Actually I believe KungFu San Soo is the oldest form of Martial Arts.

Kung Fu is the oldest style, San Soo is the oldest Kung Fu.

Kung Fu encompasses every aspect of martial arts, hands, feet, strikes, locks, pressure points. all known weapons

All other styles of martial arts began from initially someone seeing Kung Fu and deciding for whatever reason they would out of desire or need to tailor the Kung Fu style into something that more suited them.

Not all people can punch properly; you almost have to have a natural ability to strike properly.

Tall thin people usually have this natural ability for strike fast and hard.

A stocky person might have large muscle and be very strong, but most stocky guys do not have a natural ability to strike properly meaning they are usually not as efficient at striking as they could be.

So a tall thin person might feel more comfortable with striking with hands and feet, while a stocky person might feel more in control with close up combat such as grappling, throws etc.

Because of the differences in the body types and what works best for one does not necessarily work well for someone else. is the reason for the multitude of different styles of martial arts.

Most martial artist will agree that Kung Fu is the oldest, but as I stated before, San Soo is the oldest known form of Kung Fu.

I used to take some Shorin Ryu and later some Tang Soo Do/Hapkido. Nothing for a while but I still practice what I know from time to time.

I was working down in South FL last year and sat in on a few Krav Maga classes that I found very interesting. Unfortunately the job didn't work out so I'm not down there anymore...

Yo, Maxrulez, that whole pistol thing was going to be my next topic suggestion! You go and steal my thunder! Watch for that thread!

And watch that .50 Desert Eagle, too...damn, dirty gas fouling! Ain't those springs some nasty, resiliently strong motha-spitters?

Kung Fu encompasses every aspect of martial arts, hands, feet, strikes, locks, pressure points. all known weapons

All other styles of martial arts began from initially someone seeing Kung Fu and deciding for whatever reason they would out of desire or need to tailor the Kung Fu style into something that more suited them.

Not all people can punch properly; you almost have to have a natural ability to strike properly.

A stocky person might have large muscle and be very strong, but most stocky guys do not have a natural ability to strike properly meaning they are usually not as efficient at striking as they could be.

So a tall thin person might feel more comfortable with striking with hands and feet, while a stocky person might feel more in control with close up combat such as grappling, throws etc.

Because of the differences in the body types and what works best for one does not necessarily work well for someone else. is the reason for the multitude of different styles of martial arts.

Most martial artist will agree that Kung Fu is the oldest, but as I stated before, San Soo is the oldest known form of Kung Fu.
Dude... are you being for real? You got to be joking...

jump9.gif

Dude... are you being for real? You got to be joking...

jump9.gif
Actually I was very serious. however I am allways open to new information and I have been known to change my possition on issues if someone can prove to me I was wrong.

So instead of asking me if I was joking and putting laughing faces up. Share with me your knowledge of martial arts, how long you have been training, and if you can prove to me that I am wrong then I will admit I am wrong.

I can only make statements on what I beleive to be true and I have studied under difefrant teachers each being a differant style and pretty much everything I stated each of my instructors have agreed with.

So share with me your knowledge, maybe I will learn something. I enjoy learning knew things so I am looking forward to learning from you.

<!--EDIT|thrasherfox
Reason for Edit: None given...|1085288669 -->

I took KENPO karate when i was a kid but... just a year I think.

I would like to learn kung fu though... there is nothing sexier than a beautiful woman doing kung fu...but ju jitsu is cool because of the grappling and jeet kune do is cool because of Master Lee.

"be like the 'natcha' of 'wata'...it can 'frow' or it can crash...be like the 'natcha of 'wata' my friend..." Mr. Lee

oh yeah cambodian and thai kickboxing is sweet too cambodians are supposed to have very aggressive style and i am 6'4" and 230 so kickboxing is up my ally.

Gracie in the service for a couple years, uechi ryu for 8 years when outa the service. I've been idle for the last few years as getting to the dojo was getting rare with my travel schedule. Toyed around with some Muay Thai while in Bangkok for a few months.

Back