5'7 and weigh about 165Ibs.Would a bike this big be too much to handle
for me? I'm sort of torn between purchasing the Hayabusa and the R1. I
love to do wheelies, and ride
hard every now and then, but I also like to tour. My first and only bike
was a Katana 600, which
I had for 7 years. It never had that much power, and It was heavy and
akward, but I enjoyed it.
However, It's time for a new bike, and I've narrowed down my choices
between these two motorcycles.I love the Hayabusa for its style and power,but is it agile enough? I also like the R1 for its style and agility, but will I be bored of it after a while? Can you guys answer my questions, and
help me make a desicion based on the information I've given you? I
really would appreciate your help. Thanks a lot!!!

I have a Busa, and have been thinking about getting a new R1, 929, ZX-9 for some of the same reasons. I'm no wheelie expert, but have some thoughts on the matter. My opinion is that any bike will wheelie if you want, and the Busa will pull monster wheelies in the right hands, but the R1 will come up much easier than a Busa (the Busa requires more of a conscious effort - more effort than I expected - apparently it doesn't help that I ride at altitude). Conversely, because of the short wheelbase I think it is easier to overdo it on the R1 (as one of the guys here at worked flipped his). Changing lines in the corners takes some work on the Busa. I'm not that big of a guy. And a long ride with a passenger on the Busa can tire you out (of course you wouldn't even try this on an R1). But the Busa scores big on long distances, versatility, and especially two up handling which is very good (even if a bit tiring on a long trip). The Busa is hard to beat as an allround bike. The R1 is awesome, but very different.

If wheelies are what you're after, look no further than the R1. I have a set of 41mm Keihin carbs with an Attack Performance ram air box and it does 3rd gear power wheelies from 90 mph. and with a shift into 4th gear will carry you upwards of 130 mph... The Busa is a "Dull ride" in comparison with the R1 but it's nice to have both. It will crush a stock Busa in a roll on until the R1 runs out of gear which is nice considering some fools do ride Busas bone stock...

With some of the bikes I've had you had to be careful on how quick they came up but the Busa is so smooth I think you'll find wheelies extremely easy and predictable. If you can't do smooth progressive wheelies on the Busa your just afraid to twist the throttle. When I first got my Busa I was a little leary that it may come up (and over) too quickly but one confident twist of the throttle is all it took to enjoy the linear power wheelies this bike is capable of doing.
I've never ridden an R1 but I've owned about 15 late model bikes in the past eight years and the Busa strikes the best of comfort and power. Bikes that are smaller can be more fun on the short side (depending on your available riding terrain) but the Busa gives all day enjoyment.

Every hardcore knows the R1 is the greatest wheelie bike ever invented. Suprisingly, the busa is very respectable in this area. It livens up quite a bit with a 16 tooth front. Then if you really want fun add a 42 rear. Both are inexpensive to do and will get you the results you desire. And definately get the ship anchor stock exhaust off of there and get a 4-2-1 ASAP. Ride it like that for a few weeks then tell me if she still wont wheelie for ya.

The Busa will wheelie on command. It is not as easy or as natural as the r1, but like Omaga said it is respectable. I have owned both bikes. They each have their strengths and weaknesses. You said you wanted to do some touring in addition to having a great wheelie machine. Well the busa is the better touring bike and the R1 is the greater wheelie machine. You need to decide which is more important to you.

I'm only 5'6", 140 lbs and the Bus is very easy to handle, very forgiving, more agile than many smaller bikes I've ridden. It's like a big scooter that can go kinda fast and handles nice. Mine is stock and it wheelies very nicely with no drama whatsoever. As for touring, I dunno. My longest ride so far was 350 miles and that wasn't too bad. Never rode an R1 but it looks like it would wheelie easier. Seems like it would be hard to get bored with one. Buy the R1.

If you want to wheelie, the problem is between the seat and handle bars...The Busa wheelies very easily bone stock...I'm 5'7" 185lbs and it handles just fine...I can roll on first stand it up(balance is the key, you're front tire is never as high as you think)and set it down in 5th...I'm not that use to the bike yet since I bought it just about 2 weeks ago(only 550 miles on it).Its all the rider, I'm use to riding RZ350's(two stroke street bikes). I've also been riding bikes since i was 6, and now i'm 26, that helps....Gator

I hope that my last response did not sound rude. I was not trying to be rude at all, I am just trying to make a statement that the Busa has no problem when it comes to wheelie'n. If you can't wheelie a Busa, you're not twisting the throttle enough. enough said...ride safe..cover the rear brake..Gator

Back