Maintenance on the new Gen 3's

blown alcohol

Registered
What is Suzuki's recommended maintenance milage intervals?
What are the most important things to checked?
I am looking to add another bike and want it to be a sport/touring bike. Just want to know how much maintenance will be involved.

Ok
Not just oil change intervals
But valves and chain maintenance (how often)
What else is there that needs routine maintenance?

I have had Harley’s since 2005
Past sport bikes 86 ninja 1000, 91 gsxr 1100, 99 kaw 900r
So it’s been a while on a sport bike

I have a very good offer on a 2023 black but all black is not my favorite.
They are suppose to let me know Monday on anniversary price

Ok

Chain maintenance is pretty much up to the user....in dirty or wet environments it needs to be cleaned and oiled more...

I normally check mine every ride and (in my case) clean it once a month and oil it with spray wax every 100kms (60 miles) of so....I can tell whe n it needs cleaned and oiled, I can feel it through the seat...

I can't recall the valve check intervals but I checked mine (gen 2) at 40,000kms and they were all in spec.

As far as sport bikes go, the Hayabusa is easy to work on and pretty much bullet proof...

Ok

Hi. Blown Alcohol? I raced a funny car in NHRA in that class.

Chain maintenance is pretty much up to the user....in dirty or wet environments it needs to be cleaned and oiled more...

I normally check mine every ride and (in my case) clean it once a month and oil it with spray wax every 100kms (60 miles) of so....I can tell whe n it needs cleaned and oiled, I can feel it through the seat...

I can't recall the valve check intervals but I checked mine (gen 2) at 40,000kms and they were all in spec.

As far as sport bikes go, the Hayabusa is easy to work on and pretty much bullet proof...

You don’t really lube the chain every 60 miles do you?

Hi. Blown Alcohol? I raced a funny car in NHRA in that class.
I had a blown alky door car. I bet I seen you make a pass if you raced in the southeast. Rockingham, Darlington, Atlanta, Bristol.
Jim Oddy built/dynoed a small block for me in the early 90's. I hear he lives at Lake Norman, NC now
I plan to put miles on this bike, so oiling chain every 60 miles is crazy. lol

I was just wanting to know what Suzuki had for recommended maintenance. It;s been a long time since I had a sport bike.

I have been riding Harleys, and they are very low maintenance.

I have nearly 80K on my 06 LE. I’ve changed the Amsoil every 5,000 miles using an OEM or K&N filter. I clean the chain when it needs cleaning and I lube it every 500 miles or so. Motor is untouched, even has the original clutch. I like the new black Busa but in 06 I preferred the LE.

IMG_3152.jpg

What is Suzuki's recommended maintenance milage intervals?
What are the most important things to checked?
I am looking to add another bike and want it to be a sport/touring bike. Just want to know how much maintenance will be involved.
Buy a shop manual. It'll tell and show you everything you need to know. I break in all my bikes using the motoman USA steps, change the oil right after to conventional and then to full synthetic at 1500miles.

Last edited:
I had a blown alky door car. I bet I seen you make a pass if you raced in the southeast. Rockingham, Darlington, Atlanta, Bristol.
Jim Oddy built/dynoed a small block for me in the early 90's. I hear he lives at Lake Norman, NC now

I was just wanting to know what Suzuki had for recommended maintenance. It;s been a long time since I had a sport bike.

I might not oil every 100 kms but I do give it a good look over...the roads around here are dirty...

These bikes are pretty light on maintenance.

Last edited:

Hi. I was in New England back in 1985 86. My best pass was 6.07 at 221MPH.

I don’t have my gen 3 operator’s manual in front of me but I think the valve adjustment is 24k miles, oil and filter change is 7500 miles although I’ll do mine around 3000-3500, I use a little mineral spirits to wipe my chain off and wax it after every ride which about every 250 miles, that’s way excessive cleaning but that’s what I do. I found the best way to wax the chain is at least 24 before I ride that way the wax doesn’t fling off if it has time to dry.

There is basically no maintanence requirement other than oil, filter, and check the air filter.

Chain whenever it needs one.

One thing you will go through much more than a Harley is tires. Not so much "Maintenance" just that higher power / heavier sportbikes eat up tires. There are some harder compounds out there that last a bit better, but if you use the power, it will eat tires.

As far as the engine, I'm not sure I have ever really even seen a stock, street driven engine even require a valve adjustment. Obviously the clutch will eventually wear, but nothing unusual unless you really ride it hard out of the hole. Transmission gear dogs can wear if you are hard on them as well, but if ridden with sense, they can last longer than most riders.

dealer said no rebates announced for the 24, so it will be msrp.
Right now they only have a 2023 black $15,999 plus tax and tag
They had another 23 busa on order but it has been delayed. He thinks the next round will be the 24's
I will have to decide if the savings is worth it buying a color I would not have chosen.

I would keep engine 100% stock, even the exhaust. Just touring acc like windshield and some type bag/trunk. I would also go to harder compound tires when needed. I would like to have a sport touring bike.
Are the Gen 3's limited on aftermarket touring accessories? Iwill go look touring thread/videos

The videos I have been watching all say the quick shifter works great. I see a lot of posts here saying other wise.

All I’ve ever used was a tankbag that I use mainly as a cooler with refreezable ice packs and a 22” wide seatbag behind me. I hate having to have a cold drink (only) in a gas station parking lot.

IMG_3157.jpg

IMG_3158.jpg

IMG_3161.jpg

IMG_3162.jpg

IMG_3159.jpg

IMG_3164.jpg

IMG_3166.jpg

IMG_3165.jpg

I very much enjoy a cold drink under a shade tree along a river bank. No racks, just replace the hump with the seat and rear grab bar (both included as standard equipment in 2006) :firing: Two big long bungee cords that can be knotted to decrease their lengths depending on how much the bag is packed, attached over the seatbag criss cross. I made some extended ‘bungee/net‘ bolts for the hooks to keep the them away from the paint. Two nets over the seatbag hooked to each other for an extra shirt, jacket, whatever. The Busa is a fine touring bike.

I haven’t toured on my gen 3 yet but plan to take a trip this fall. I have toured on both my ZX11’s and I found them to be excellent sport tourers. On my gen 3 I’ve added a taller windscreen, bar risers, wide rubber drop pegs, 18L tank bag, 24L tail bag, GoPro 11, quadlock, two 38,800mha battery banks for charging accessories, gps, Cardo blue tooth, and Yoshi slip-ons. I believe when I get ready for my fall trip it will tour well.

Back