Made my own swingarm socket

Pit Bull

Registered
I have been dragging my feet getting my bike back together, specifically final torquing of the swingarm pivot, nuts, etc. Was waiting for a socket for the right side spanner locknut.
The choices were either buy the set of 4 special sockets needed for swingarm removal, engine removal, etc I've seen advertised arround for about $150, or order the socket from Suzuki.
Since I was geting tired of procrastinating and waiting, I took maters into my own hands and made my own using my benchtop milling machine in my workshop and a older 32mm 1/2 inch drive socket.
I have been making things for a little while - mostly Firearms related parts out of Aluminum, but am not a professional - My only training in it was vocational classes in High School - but can figgure out most of what I need to do.
Anyway, I used a US made 32mm socket and secured it into my milling machine vise and used the nut itself to roughly lay out where I needed to cut it. Then, I used a 1/2 inch titanium coated endmill in a collet and after about an hour, here's my end result.
I used it last night and it works good - and it is still able to be used as a socket, if necessary.
It's not much, but I'm kinda' proud of my bit of Redneck Engineering - let me know what y'all think.

Pit Bull

hayabusa_pics_037.jpg

Another pic. I am planning to cut the thing some more to make the cogs just a little deeper - again, it worked great, just want to tweak it a little more and make it beter.
Again, I don't think it's bad for a benchtop mill ran by a corections officer.

Pit Bull

hayabusa_pics_038.jpg

very interesting....and very useful. Perhpas I will undertake the same task. Thanks for the tip!

sweeet... you should think about making some and selling them
rock.gif
biggrin.gif

Congrats ---neccessity is the mother of invention..... Yep add a dollar coast and lets us know where to send the money..

Give us two options

1) if we ship you the socket
2) if you provide the socket

thanks!!!!

Congrats ---neccessity is the mother of invention..... Yep add a dollar coast and lets us know where to send the money..

Give us two options

1) if we ship you the socket
2) if you provide the socket

thanks!!!!
I was pricing sockets, cutters, etc, etc,... and figgured out that I would be able to make them for a reasonable price.
What do you guys think about $25 for one if I provide a new american made socket - shipped to your door, or $15 if you send me your socket(12 pt 32 mm)?
BTW, this thread was not intended for me to offer something for sale, just to show off something I made & was proud of - if anyone wants me to move following posts to the merchandise forum, let me know - don't want to post in the wrong forum, or lead anyone to think I'm trying to sell something like a buisness would - just willing to try & help others out
beerchug.gif

Pit Bull

Had a couple of questions about my mill - here is a couple of pics of my set up.

Pit Bull

<!--EDIT|Pit Bull
Reason for Edit: None given...|1081004756 -->

hayabusa_pics_040.jpg

Back