lowering the Bus???

jumbo

Registered
As some of you know I hit a dog about a 1 1/2 months ago. Well the forks started to seep on both sides.

What I am wondering since I have to get the forks taken apart and rebuilt I was thinking of having them lowered.

I talked to a guy at race tech and said they can only go about 1.5 inches. I was thinking of only going about .75 inches in front.

What I am asking if I drop .75 inches in the front how far would I have to drop the back with dog bones??

Also are there any other problems with going that low??

Any input will be greatly appriciated.

If you have 3-hole dog bones for the rear...

Setting 1: Stock
Setting 2: 2" lower
Setting 3: 3" lower.

Don't know what you are doing to the forks to drop the front, but if I were you I would just use reaper risers to lower the front, so you can go back if you want... The reaper risers are only $27 and yea I recommend them to everyone and anyone that can use them because they work great and are cheap...

You will find that most on this board that have dropped their bikes don't drop the same height from front to rear...

If you lower the bike, it sounds inevitable to bottom out. Although most love lowering their bike, there is that to consider... Even with the suspension as stiff as it will go, you are probably still going to bottom out from time to time over bumps...

Cloud

Other than scratching the bottom you might consider if your a curve rider the handling...I'm not a curve rider so lowering front and rear didn't matter to me...Good info in the above post...
evil.gif

Lower the rear to the middle hole and pull your forks through the triple clamp about .25 to .75 of an inch dependong on how low you want it. It also depends on the trip[le clamp you have. You may just want the forks to be flush with the clamp becasue even being flush with the AFTERMARKET clamp its still lowered an inch or so.

I have some 3/4" risers I got off of ebay that I'm gonna use up front and I have a local machine shop workin' on a set of 1" dog bones. One inch down won't change the looks a lot but it should give me a bit better footin' without killin' the handlin'. I have a set of three hole bones but I thought the middle hole dropped it a bit too much for hard ridin' in the corners. Here's Da' Train with the three holers in the middle hole (prolly about a 2" drop) and with the front strapped down to bottom out... No way I would ride 'er on the street with the front slammed that far. No suspension travel at all...

train_001.jpg

I have some 3/4" risers I got off of ebay that I'm gonna use up front and I have a local machine shop workin' on a set of 1" dog bones. One inch down won't change the looks a lot but it should give me a bit better footin' without killin' the handlin'. I have a set of three hole bones but I thought the middle hole dropped it a bit too much for hard ridin' in the corners. Here's Da' Train with the three holers in the middle hole (prolly about a 2" drop) and with the front strapped down to bottom out... No way I would ride 'er on the street with the front slammed that far. No suspension travel at all...
BT, Thats the drop I was thinking shouldn't change the handling that much, But give a mean lookin stance...Let me know on the 1" bones i'm interested... front should be fairly simple, A 1" aluminum spacer between the clamp and the clipon bracket with longer bolts...Keep me posted Willing to pay for da bone....
cool.gif
beerchug.gif

Thanks for all the input I think I'm going to keep the forks stock just with heavier springs. I'll lower the front with either a new triple clamp or the risers. I not thrilled the way the risers look by raising the clip ons higher. Thanks for the pics BT alway the photographer of the group.

BT, Thats the drop I was thinking shouldn't change the handling that much, But give a mean lookin stance...Let me know on the 1" bones i'm interested... front should be fairly simple, A 1" aluminum spacer between the clamp and the clipon bracket with longer bolts...Keep me posted Willing to pay for da bone....
cool.gif

beerchug.gif
I'll let you know as soon as I know something'. He's workin' on cuttin' a rough bone to double check the drop amount and then once he's sure on the length for the bones he's gonna cut and "doll up" the good ones.

cool.gif

beerchug.gif
I'll let you know as soon as I know something'. He's workin' on cuttin' a rough bone to double check the drop amount and then once he's sure on the length for the bones he's gonna cut and "doll up" the good ones.
thanks just drop an email or pm...DR.

Back