lowering link walkthrough

BusaBill

Donating Member
Registered
Like the topic says, I have some lowering links and would like to know if this is something I can tackle myself? How much is involved in lowering my bike...I'm thinking about going 2 or 3 inches lower. Thanks guys!
beerchug.gif

It is pretty easy, I just jacked up the back end of the bike and then put some floor jacks under the back of the frame (with rags in between so I did not ding up the frame) and then underneath where the stock dog bones are unbolt and bolt in the new ones. Thats it. It makes it easier if there it someone else there to lift and lower the rear tire as needed. It is not hard at all.

Thanks Rich- I didn't think there was much more to it but it just seemed TOO easy...didn't want to run into any unexpected problems that would turn a 15 minute job into a 3 hour ordeal. What about the front, whats needed to do that?

Thanks Rich-  I didn't think there was much more to it but it just seemed TOO easy...didn't want to run into any unexpected problems that would turn a 15 minute job into a 3 hour ordeal.  What about the front, whats needed to do that?
I have read much and talked to a bunch of sportbike guys at the local shop and they all agree if your not going to be going to the track for straight line then don't slam the front of the bike since it totally changes the steering and suspension dynamics. The reason for that is the only way that I know of to lower the front end is with a tie down strap which all that does is compress the forks so you loose a lot of fork travel. Just mine and a bunch of other guys 2 cents

<!--EDIT|Warrior58d
Reason for Edit: None given...|1080020422 -->

Thanks Rich-  I didn't think there was much more to it but it just seemed TOO easy...didn't want to run into any unexpected problems that would turn a 15 minute job into a 3 hour ordeal.  What about the front, whats needed to do that?
I have read much and talked to a bunch of sportbike guys at the local shop and they all agree if your not going to be going to the track for straight line then don't slam the front of the bike since it totally changes the steering and suspension dynamics. The reason for that is the only way that I know of to lower the front end is with a tie down strap which all that does is compress the forks so you loose a lot of fork travel. Just mine and a bunch of other guys 2 cents
Get a Genmar handlebar riser, or custom, and you can lower by dropping the shock towers up through. I agree on compressing the shocks with strap, bad idea.

I'd be curious how and why it would change them so much if you went about 1/2in to a 1in lower in the front i don't know i did this with mine but haven't gotten any seat time in it yet i guess i'll see if i like it or not but since weather is getting warm again and not been riding it since last summer i will have to do a little retrain time anyways
rock.gif

Ya for the front the cheapest way is to go with the spacers, you just unbolt the triple tree cover and put the spacers in there and then bolt is back up then loosen up the fork tubes and slide them all the way up. The only reason that you would want to strap it is for the drag strip.

might be mistaken as a long time since I did it but as far as Im aware on a busa the diameter of the forks going thru the yokes is less than the bottom half of the fork leg. This limits how far you can lift the forks thru the yokes as the larger diameter wont fit thru bottom yoke, unless you have new bottom yoke made.
Will say that by lifting forks thru the yokes as far as they will go has no detrimental effect, cant actually say how much it lowered the front as I never measured it & certainly didnt mess up the handling,, may have made it a little sharper,, but didnt really have bike long enuff b4 dumping the front down to make an informed comment.

Back