Low Mile, 13 Year Old Bike.....questions

sweet tea man

Registered
So I just acquired an 05 model with about 4800 miles now. Clean and completely stock, very well kept.

My worries are with the low miles and it obviously sitting for long periods, what do i need to look at that could deteriorate? It still had the stock tires on it, and I replaced those with Avons. The battery was replaced with a low ca, replaced it with a yuasa 175. It runs great, no issues. Just looking for info of what to check out.

Change to Amsoil, K&N filter, new OEM air filter, replace brake lines with Galfer braided SS lines, flush and fill brake and clutch fluid. Install HH brake pads at the same time. Set the suspension for your weight. Check for fork seal leakage and install new seals and wipers and fork oil if needed. Check the sprockets and chain for possible (sooner than later) replacement. Most any rivet link chain with 10,000 or more tensile strength will do nicely. Get a battery tender too. Oh, get a Valentine One radar detector and a stem stand mount for it and then go for a very long ride. That's what I would do.:D Good luck, you're gonna love it. BTW, I maintain a 38 year old air cooled
inline six cylinder Honda CBX that currently has nearly 70,000 miles on it, and I'd ride it anywhere. I'm kinda big one proper maintenance.:)

Change to Amsoil, K&N filter, new OEM air filter, replace brake lines with Galfer braided SS lines, flush and fill brake and clutch fluid. Install HH brake pads at the same time. Set the suspension for your weight. Check for fork seal leakage and install new seals and wipers and fork oil if needed. Check the sprockets and chain for possible (sooner than later) replacement. Most any rivet link chain with 10,000 or more tensile strength will do nicely. Get a battery tender too. Oh, get a Valentine One radar detector and a stem stand mount for it and then go for a very long ride. That's what I would do.:D Good luck, you're gonna love it. BTW, I maintain a 38 year old air cooled
inline six cylinder Honda CBX that currently has nearly 70,000 miles on it, and I'd ride it anywhere. I'm kinda big one proper maintenance.:)
You forgot the turbo...

So I just acquired an 05 model with about 4800 miles now. Clean and completely stock, very well kept.

My worries are with the low miles and it obviously sitting for long periods, what do i need to look at that could deteriorate? It still had the stock tires on it, and I replaced those with Avons. The battery was replaced with a low ca, replaced it with a yuasa 175. It runs great, no issues. Just looking for info of what to check out.

My 04 just went over 4000 miles this past summer. I haven't replaced anything but tires for age. And they really had some life left in them. I just wanted to go to a better tire. It gets a battery when it needs one. And regular services... When I stretched it I replaced brake fluid front and rear. But that probably wasn't necessary 4 dot has a much longer life span then 3 or 5 dot. I have all the plastic and the tank off right now. I always check all the hoses and rubber parts. they're all original and still are soft, flexibly, and show no signs of cracking...

Fresh fluids all the way around, fresh fuel with sea foam added.Fresh tires as you stated. Ride her like ya stole her.

You forgot the Turbo ;<)

I have an 03 that I have owned since new. Low miles but more than yours. I upgraded to stainless brake and clutch lines so I can't comment on the lifecycle of those, but aside from fluids, tires and chains, I have only changed plugs which likely didn't need it. So I'm all original and it still runs like it was new.

Climate controlled life and I would just drive it until something shows wear.

Here ya go

34035.jpeg

34037.jpeg

34038.jpeg

Only thing missing that I see right off is the passenger grab rail and some safety stickers.

Otherwise it looks pretty much like new.

Back