low beam out, need aftermarket

AQUADIOSMED

Registered
last night my low beam bulb went out...

prefer an after market-stronger illumination;

this part number and location to order was on the list sometime ago, can't find it, Help Please!!!

don't want to get "busted" for having only high beam!!!

alanb

I found a 70-watt (+15 from stock) clear H7 bulb at Classic Garage (http://store.yahoo.com/classicgarage/h770watclear.html). Price is $10, but they charge around $8 for shipping so you may want to order other items at the same time.

This is a clear bulb, made in Korea. I haven't installed it yet, so can't say much about performance or quality. Note that all H7 bulbs are Xenon-filled, so don't pay more for that feature.

Many aftermarket bulbs are distinguished by a blue coating and much higher price. You also get much hype about blue-white HID-style light and higher performance, despite the fact that the blue coating cuts down on light output. See Daniel Stern's page for a good tech discussion of lighting snake oil (http://lighting.mbz.org/tech/info/bulb_types/).

thanks for the help.

i found 1 dealer that had the bulb in stock, but he did not know which bulb was low beam.

looking for posts from those that have tried the aftermarket bulbs.

I have learned that two of the suppliers of aftermarket bulbs will give a "group" discount.

anoyone interested???

Please e-mail or respond to this post

[This message has been edited by AQUADIOSMED (edited 11 June 2000).]

I have done a lot of experimenting, as I travel rural roads at all hours.
For the low beam I went with Hyper White bulb, standard wattage but, 55w=90w (h7hw55)
They have a Hi wattage 80w=100w (h7hw80)
www.24hiper.com (877)24hiper $20.00
For an EXCELLENT high beam, try a PIAA white hot. (9005) 65w=100w. This high beam made ALL the difference in the world-you will be amazed. $25.00
note-PIAA did NOT make a h7 when I checked
and The PIAA bulb out performed the hiper white 9005, in my opinion.

I forgot- The Hiper is a "blue bulb" I have a garage full of other "over the counter" blue coated bulbs. They are crap-the coating peels off especially on high wattage bulbs.
The hiper is a lot better.
The PIAA throws out a definite "rainbow frame" long down the road. No problems with either. 10,000 + miles

Back