Loved The Ride I Hate

Mathewrussell52

Registered
Today I got my bike out in Central Iowa. I had to work today and rode to work when it was 45 outside. Not bad at all I can tolerate the cold when I know when I’ll be riding home in the the beautiful 62 I got up to today.

Well I worked late and had to ride home in the dark. I have always had a healthy fear of driving in the dark. Living in Iowa lots of critters out at night and November the deer run all day and night.

So during the ride home home I was thinking on how much I loved this ride I hate. It cool but even in dress pants I was just fine in gloves and a coat. My helmet was clean and I could see perfectly clear because there were no bugs for the last month. This was no speed run at times where known deer traffic was I was prob doing 40mph. But I loved it the bike felt so nimble and taking the back roads makes me relise how much I love ridding. Even when I never get in the boost.

For me it's not fear but the lack of scenery. In my youth I rode everywhere day or night but as I've aged I ride for the ride (and) for what I can see while I'm riding. After dark all I can see is the road in front of me. While that's ok in my car it just doesn't cut it on the bikes. I also don't like wet leaves in the corners especially when I can't see them and I'd also never ride with 'dress pants' w/o knee protection. Years ago I had a relatively slow low side and was wearing heavy leather riding pants but no knee pads. Three knee surgeries and a skin graft from my thigh later taught me that leg protection is as important as any gear I can wear, day or night.

Have you done any upgrades to the headlights? The stock high and low beam together put out around 2500 lumens. 55 watt hids will take that to 8000+ lumens then add led driving lights for an additional 4000 for a total of 12,000+ lumens. The Clearwater driving lights I have help drastically with lighting the sides of the road.

Back