Looking for suggestions on how to control road rage

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleSteve
repeat this statement to yourself..... "you can measure the size of a man, by the size of the things that make him mad"

Little men get mad over little things.

This is the best post of the bunch!

My input would be "Patience is a Virtue"!
+1 :thumbsup:

As someone else said, it's very cool you're aware of your shortcoming, and are looking for ways to actively curb the impulse to...well, to do no good. I think it's telling that the other poster's handle is "F=MA". Force is equal to Mass times Acceleration. The following is roughly true; the proportions are right, anyway.

A 4000 pound car, traveling at 60 MPH, exerts 4000# x 60MPH = 240,000 units of force.

A 600 pound bike, traveling 60 MPH, exerts 600# x 60 MPH = 36,000 units of force.

240,000 / 36,000 = 6.6. In other words, all things being equal, the car exerts more than six times the force your bike exerts at the same speed. Imagine you punch me in the shoulder as hard as you can. Then, I punch you back six times harder. Of course, on the bike you can increase your speed to 360 miles per hour, and more or less even the score...which is kind of ridiculous (unless you're running a turbo!) But even going even-up force-wise with another vehicle--especially if you're going 360 MPH--it's probably going to hurt you on your bike a lot more than the guy sitting in his cage.

The moral to the story is, you don't want to tangle with something that's essentially 6 times bigger than you are. Say you weigh 200 pounds and are in great shape. Do you still want to run out in a field and try to tackle a running horse? It would probably hurt. A lot.

My point is that it's foolish for any of us, on our bikes, to contemplate going head-to-head with any four-wheel vehicle, even a small, sub-compact. Thus, discretion is the better part of valor. That is, being philosophical is preferable to being aggressive for any biker.

I get pretty ticked sometimes on the highways and byways. But I'm learning to control it. I keep the F=MA equation in mind, first of all. I keep in mind I'm not in a position of strength on the streets. If you want to be the Big Dog, then it would probably make sense to park the bike, and drive a big truck, or SUV around. It doesn't do much for your rage, but at least you'll have an even chance of surviving it. The rate you're going, you're going to get nailed by a cage. It's just a matter of time.

As someone else mentioned, it's not really personal most of the time, unless you make it be. Keep that in mind, and it will help defuse most of your aggression. Some people just aren't very good drivers. Almost everyone drives aggressively these days, probably because there's so many bodies on the road everywhere. It's just the way things are.

alan

When you find a good solution let me know because I have the same problem
The answer is easy: Ease off the gas and let 'em go, hopefully far away from you.

I know that answer is hard to do, because we know the b@strd deserves something bad to happen to them, but just let them go and be happy being safe and alive.

A night in jail, $1,000 Fines, $2500 lawyer fees, $$$Bike parts, 100hrs community service,suspended license, a year probation, thats what road rage(a stupidity) got me. That calmed me down pretty well.
It seems justified at the time, but its not worth it, i got him but I lost BIG in the long run. Road Rage sucks!!

repeat this statement to yourself..... "you can measure the size of a man, by the size of the things that make him mad"

Little men get mad over little things.

True, but it's tough to consider dangerous driving that threatens your physical well-being, and even your life, a "little" thing.

That said, it is is virtually ALWAYS safest and smartest to "let it go".

Ride, but ride safe!

Sometimes I have issues with people who have road rage as well. I have a Conceal Carry License Holder and I once had a guy get mad at me when I have the right of way and he pinned his car in front of my car. I try to be the non-aggressor and I stayed in my own car. The individual got of his car and was approaching my car. My pistol was in my car's console and my empty holster on the seat, I do not want to have to shoot anyone if the situation escalates to violence......as he comes towards my vehicle....I see my holster that does not have my hand gun in it. I raise the empty holster and placed it in full view of my car's windshield showing the empty holster. He elected to do the smart thing.....running to his car and removing himself from area. :beerchug:

Sometimes I have issues with people who have road rage as well. I have a Conceal Carry License Holder and I once had a guy get mad at me when I have the right of way and he pinned his car in front of my car. I try to be the non-aggressor and I stayed in my own car. The individual got of his car and was approaching my car. My pistol was in my car's console and my empty holster on the seat, I do not want to have to shoot anyone if the situation escalates to violence......as he comes towards my vehicle....I see my holster that does not have my hand gun in it. I raise the empty holster and placed it in full view of my car's windshield showing the empty holster. He elected to do the smart thing.....running to his car and removing himself from area. :beerchug:

Nice! :rofl:

:thumbsup:

Here is Lamb's mindset when driving/riding. This car is gonna cut me off. This car on the left is just about to cut me off. This truck to the right is just about to cut me off. This car on the left is just about to cut me off. This person behind is just about to speed up to cut me off. This car pulling out from the side street is just about to pull right in front of me. This truck in front of me is just about to brake for no reason making a hole in front of him so somebody can cut him off. Using this mindset, it's amazing how many people don't cut you off. And when they do, it's not unexpected. Since you knew it was coming it doesn't bother you because it isn't unexpected.

Nice! :thumbsup:

Stop speeding:rofl: or go faster:thumbsup: you can't be cut off while traveling the same speed. Leave earlier you won't have to go as fast. Move to Montana as stated earlier. Hope our advice helps:beerchug:

Right-of-way is decided by those who think they have the least to loose. There is no reason to get mad just because someone else doesn't value your life over theirs. That's a natural survival instinct.

What you can do is be more aware of your surroundings and allow more room around you for emergencies.

I drive 116 miles of Florida highways everyday. Nothing puts the "little" things in perpective like a Hillsborough County Sheriffs bus passing me on the Crosstown. I then think to myself how lucky I am to be sitting where I am instead of cuffed to a seat looking out the little slits that they have for windows. No one else on the road is worth my freedom especially the people who think they are.

Thanks a ton guys for all the great advice.....believe it or not its really helped me :beerchug: Somebody cut me off again last night, but because of my better frame of mind (thanks to you guys), I was able to just let it go and still have a great evening :thumbsup:
I also hope this thread helps others as well :beerchug:
And the org rocks! :beerchug: :beerchug:

Back