Looking for IT professionals

What college/university are you going to? You are going to need some work expierence to get your foot in the door, Talk to a career councelor and see if they have a internship with any of the companies in the area, and study, study, study. Get those Cert's if you can. They will help you get a job, but exp. will get you in way faster. I know the companies around here look at the exp. way harder than the cert's. These day's you can get alot of the cert.s that employer's are looking for with an online test, that doesn't require all the knowledge of taking the classes and getting the cert. from the mfg. Let me know if I can help in anyway possible

<!--EDIT|Speedfreak391
Reason for Edit: None given...|1127922542 -->

Wished you were in my area, Delaware,Maryland,DC ----I actually have been doing developer and QA work for about 5 years now. I've been activated with the military for about 2 of those years working via email and satellite. Recently had to stop though, due to a conflict of interest.

Rationale Test Suite, C++ 6.0, Java, DII COE....more military and government systems development

I've been trying to get in the field to start getting experience while I finish my degree for about 3 yrs now, but it isn't happening.   I have forgotten a lot of which I learned.  
sad.gif
Well, I wish we had a Fl. branch, but we don't. What is the  specific field you are trying to get into? Maybe I can help? Do you want to stay in FL. or would you like to move?
I am studying Computer Engineering Technology and Computer Information Technology.  It is mostly on the networking side of it all.  Then again, I haven't had the chance to either practice that or learn something else in the process.

I would love to stay here in FL...maybe move South (I'm located in Kissimmee/Orlando area now).  Unfortunately I can only stand the cold as a vacation time, not all the time since I'm a tropical person...but there are always exceptions to the rules!  

If you happen to know anyone that could lend me a hand, I would greatly appreciate it!    
biggrin.gif
tell me what you want to learn and I'll see what I can send you to help out.  My best suggestion is to pick a field and get some kind of certification.  Most companies I've found want that from entry level folks, even though they dont pay for shid .... once you have a handful of years under your belt the certs become less important

Even with my experience I'm still working to get some of them done just to aid in the job search.... seems companies these days want experts in 100 things, certified in 50 of them and only want to pay for 10
laugh.gif
.... seriously though, CCNA or MCP would help you getting a job with little/no experience.[/quote]
I would take advantage of any oportunity given, not picky at all.  I am really fascinated with computers and how they work, love working with them and that's why I'm in this field.  Ironically, circumstances do not allow me to have even my own computer for now.

Wanna hear the funny part about it?  I have taken all the courses for my degree that are guide to the certs, but I've been: 1. constraint in budget to do so, and 2. scared of them since I wouldn't want to pay them twice each.  In April '05 I finished the last course for my CCNA...but have not taken the test and frankly I don't feel prepared at all since I used to know all the configs for the routers by heart until I had the bike accident and that just set me way back on the whole degree.

Suggestions?   =0([/quote]
well the biggest suggestion I can give you is to start taking some practice tests.  www.boson.com has some that are pretty accurate and will prep you for the real one....they say if you can pass those at 80% you can generally passt he real ones too.

I'll look around for some other goodies and see if I can't put together a list of stuff to help you study for some exams.
cool.gif

And Martin, dunno about the TS/SCI stuff, never done it but since I've never been in any trouble with anyone I suspect I could get it
biggrin.gif
  What kinda Cisco guru....cuz thats like sayin, yeah I liked that blonde girl at the boobie bar
wink.gif

laugh.gif
[/QUOTE]
my bad bra.... Since I'm not a cicso guy I can only tell ya that we, the contract I'm on, needs someone that can configure, troubleshoot, and optimize, 7200 series, 3800 series, and 2800 series routers and 6500 series and 3750 series switches for an open and 2 closed networks.

Does that help ya...
smile.gif

biggrin.gif

laugh.gif

yep, helps a bunch and dats not me
sad.gif

I am more of your Call Center kinda guy, I am the primary engineer for the email manager system here at Cisco. It handles all the customer facing email coming into the call centers here. Also workin that "miracle happens here" cloud between two telephones
laugh.gif
We support all the IPCC call centers for Cisco, so the ICM = Intelligent Contact Management software and Call Manager stuff rather than the routers/switches. thanks for lookin out for me though
cool.gif

how are things in VA?

well the biggest suggestion I can give you is to start taking some practice tests.  www.boson.com has some that are pretty accurate and will prep you for the real one....they say if you can pass those at 80% you can generally passt he real ones too.

I'll look around for some other goodies and see if I can't put together a list of stuff to help you study for some exams.
cool.gif
Thanks for the info, any other help will be greatly appreciated!
biggrin.gif

Let me know anyone is looking in the Dallas area as well. I work at Perot Systems and know the whole recruiting team. They are looking for qualified IT people like crazy, i think that the company is looking to expand another 1k people by the end of the year. The campus i work at has nearly doubled in the two years i have been here. Everything from help desk guys to IT gurus even marketing people.

yep, helps a bunch and dats not me  
sad.gif

I am more of your Call Center kinda guy, I am the primary engineer for the email manager system here at Cisco.  It handles all the customer facing email coming into the call centers here.  Also workin that "miracle happens here" cloud between two telephones
laugh.gif
 We support all the IPCC call centers for Cisco, so the ICM = Intelligent Contact Management software and Call Manager stuff rather than the routers/switches.  thanks for lookin out for me though
cool.gif

how are things in VA?
sry bra..
sad.gif
it sounds like your stuff is more intresting thou..
smile.gif

Things up here in VA are the same, the only thing changing is the weather.

sad.gif

Anyone looking for a unix geek in the Denver area? My contract's up in Jan.

Carl

SCSA/CNA CCNA/CCNP 3Wizard
smile.gif

Working on the Solaris Security Admin cert.

<!--EDIT|dm_gsxr
Reason for Edit: None given...|1127964061 -->

Ok so...if given the opportunity to start with an AS Degree in Computer Engineering Technology...then I'm willing to relocate.

Well, as some of you may know already, I am an executive recruiter in the Minneapolis/St.Paul area. If you work in any IT position and might be interested in moving to, or live in this area, shoot me a PM. Especially if you are from the NO area. Thanks, Speedfreak391.
smile.gif
Have any opening's for a guy with Lots of computer experience, but my college is in a different field? I need a new life change. Let me know if ya want my resume. Oh, Im in MN, so no need to reloacate.

I've been in Construction for about 20 years but I know how to type with at least 4 fingers now and I can use the net .
biggrin.gif

Well, as some of you may know already, I am an executive recruiter in the Minneapolis/St.Paul area. If you work in any IT position and might be interested in moving to, or live in this area, shoot me a PM. Especially if you are from the NO area. Thanks, Speedfreak391.
smile.gif
Have any opening's for a guy with Lots of computer experience, but my college is in a different field? I need a new life change. Let me know if ya want my resume. Oh, Im in MN, so no need to reloacate.
Valium, give me a call, you have my # Let me see what I can do!

2 words:   DICE . COM
We don't do the internet recruiting like everyone else in our market does. If you want the best candidates, you have to go out and find them, not look at all the job boards, and resume boards. But it does sound like you know a little something about what I am talking about, what do you do for a living?

Ok so...if given the opportunity to start with an AS Degree in Computer Engineering Technology...then I'm willing to relocate.
Cisco has Associate Systems Engineer positions all the time, basically they put you into a training program, train you on most everything and then send you out to help sell stuff.... GSFerrari on this board just got into that program, maybe he can point you in the direction to do get into that one ?

And Dice.com is good but just like most job sites, its better to know someone than just go on the postings alone
cool.gif

Back