Looking @ Canadian Busa & Converting Km/ph To Mph

justintime2

What's your story?
Donating Member
Registered
Hello ladies and gents!
Looking to get a Gen2 Busa, given my location in WA State and the exchange rate I'm snooping around in the Canadian market to save some money. Is there anything besides the speedo/Odo that varies from the US version? Can the speedo face be changed so MPH are on the primary outer ring instead of the secondary? Anything else I should be asking and didn't?
Thanks,
Justin
Here's a snap of me on my old 03', are people still saying these things don't corner?
image.jpeg

The US exchange is causing a lot of poaching up here both for bikes and cars. Plus you cant give the busa away now in most provinces because of insurance costs.

BB

Just started looking and found one on Craigslist but the listing was a few weeks old and he messaged back it was sold so I'll keep looking. Figure with the exchange rate and being winter it's a good time to find one.

Anybody have some guidance on what it takes to get them back across the border and through customs?

I have an 08 gauge cluster sitting on my desk collecting dust if you want it.
I have to find a bike first but thanks for the offer. Maybe you can message me what you'd want for it and how many miles the odo has on it, guessing they can still reprogram those with documentation.

Contact Scotts Blue Guages
They can legally change the mileage with proper documentation.
They should also be able to switch from kpm to mph.

Ford_Mondeo_MK3_ST220_-_Speedometer_(light).jpg

Some gauge cluster overlays will show both kilometers & miles per hour in the sweep, but the odometer will always add the original KPH or MPH set up . . .

So the solution is either new face to see the proper speed but it continues to add up Km/ph or a US gauge package swapped in but reprogrammed to the right mileage by one of the companies that will do so?

Don't forget if you just do gauge faces you will have to get a speedohealer. Probably not a bad idea anyway.

I don't understand probably missing something knowing me but changing the gauge face from KPH to MPH would correct the speed indication going from Canada to the US. A Speedohealer is a great idea for correcting the factory gauge error or any error caused by a gearing change but wouldn't be necessary for changing from metric to standard. But like I said I might be missing something.

I don't understand probably missing something knowing me but changing the gauge face from KPH to MPH would correct the speed indication going from Canada to the US. A Speedohealer is a great idea for correcting the factory gauge error or any error caused by a gearing change but wouldn't be necessary for changing from metric to standard. But like I said I might be missing something.

I was thinking the same thing - changing the face alone would not effect the read out. 50mph is 80kph so I'm not sure if a speedohealer could change that much or not.
But even if it did, I would assume that the mileage before the speedohealer would be kph miles and after would be mph miles.
It would be interesting to know if replacing a kph Instrument Panel with a mph one would read correctly with no other modifications.

With the Gen1 you could swap out the gauge pod no problem and it would read as intended (either Km/hr reading Km/hr or MPH reading MPH), I'm presuming it's the same on the Gen2 but I don't know which is why I'm trying to learn more.

The Speedohealer simply corrects for the linear inaccuracy of the speedo's reading as it gets faster and therefore displays the correct speed once setup, it will not effect/correct metric vs imperial mileage readings though. The Speedohealer used to have a high speed recal button (sure it still does) that will recall your highest speed since reset on the speedo gauge, the draw back is it racks up mileage in your odo while doing so since it's simply sending the appropriate voltage to the gauge to indicate the speed achieved. I helped them calibrate this feature when it was first released on my 03' Busa.

Because once your high speed recall is activated the Speedohealer is just sending a voltage signal to your gauge package that matches with the corresponding value it recorded as the top speed sweeping the needle back up to the same point. Your ignition has to be on for this to happen and your Busa "electronically" thinks it's moving, so for the length of time the high speed recall is running in your speedo its simultaneously racking up mileage in your odo at the corresponding rate.

Gen II Standard or Metric should swap like for like, and yes your ODO would be metric if you just changed Speedo face. Sounds like you have an offer for a free one maybe. Shipping wouldn't be that much.

Because once your high speed recall is activated the Speedohealer is just sending a voltage signal to your gauge package that matches with the corresponding value it recorded as the top speed sweeping the needle back up to the same point. Your ignition has to be on for this to happen and your Busa "electronically" thinks it's moving, so for the length of time the high speed recall is running in your speedo its simultaneously racking up mileage in your odo at the corresponding rate.

I would think that would be too miniscule to ever amount to anything.
Of all the times myself and other riders I know pushed the top speed recall, we never saw it add anything, miles or even tenths.
And if it did add anything noticeable, Speedohealer would've had alot of complaints by now.
A stock Busa's speedometer is off around 7% anyway.
:beerchug:

It's confirmed to add to the odo (at least on the Gen1's), trust me I helped calibrate the recall time on the original model so it was long enough to read but not so long that it added unnecessary mileage. It's not a huge deal though and doesn't add enough for significant concern, is something people should know is happening when they hit the switch though. I also recall the Gen1 speedo needing about 7% correction to be accurate and it was linear the whole way up.

If my math is right, your top speed was 150mph and the recal time was 4 seconds (can't remember what we calibrated it to back then) it would add roughly .16 of a mile to the odo per recall cycle. :fire:

Back