Gen1 Busa - Turbo, Standalone, Built Motor - What else can I do?

Shifty41

Registered
photo1.jpg

Hello! Just wanted to finally post here and introduce myself. I just got this bike and I think it is amazing. This is what happened. I was thinking about getting a bike. Looked at the new Hayabusas and really liked them. Something sparked my memory and I remembered that Roaring Toyz always had some crazy bikes up on their site and often they were for sale. On a whim, I checked them out and they did, indeed, have a couple outrageous ZX-14’s for sale. Way too expensive for me but it got me wondering about custom or turbo Busas. Just out of curiosity, I started looking around and eventually this led to that and I found a gorgeous bike that cost me about what a 2013 from the dealer would have, the bonus being that it already had a lot of work done on it. Cool right? Well, I had NO IDEA what I was getting myself into.

This bike is a freakin' monster. In a good way. I love it so much I can’t even explain. Here is why:

Turbo Kit:
• Precision 6062b (Garrett GT35) – Billet wheel, ball bearing cartridge, ported S cover, V band
• NLR Gen X Billet Plenum
• Tial 44mm wastegate
• Tial 50mm blow off valve
• 2.5†up pipe with Wiggins clamps
• McIntosh billet through frame connector
• K&N carbon airfilter
• RCC Header Flange
• NLR stainless oil feed line

Electronics
• Megasquirt Ultra (based on MS3) Standalone ECU
• AiM Sports Strada digital dash
• Carbon Fiber dash mount
• NLR AMS-1000 boost controller
• Rick’s stator/rectifier
• PMR killswitch
• PMR bar switches
• Oil pressure sender
• Fuel pressure sender
• GSXR 1000 auxiliary fan
• RCC fan switch relocator
• Schnitz fan switch sender
• Ballistic 16 cell battery
• Euro headlight switch

Built Motor
• Crower rods
• JE turbo pistons (8.5-1)
• Carpenter springs
• APE pro mod head studs
• APE nuts
• APE main studs
• APE cam sprockets
• Suzuki cam chain
• Suzuki main and rod bearings
• Carolina Cycle cut transmission
• Suzuki shift forks
• Suzuki clutch seals and fibers
• Cosmetic gaskets
• Rick’s rewound stator
• RPM billet case vent
• Kosman outer bearing support
• SAE Outlaw quick access clutch cover
• RPM dual stage lockup clutch
• RPM billet oilpan

Chassis
• McIntosh 2-8 underbraced alumi-pro extended swingarm with bronze bushings
• McIntosh bottle tray
• McIntosh cut forks
• Driven 50mm clip-ons
• Billet triple clamp
• 2lb Nitrous bottle
• Sato drag style rear sets
• Marchesini aluminum wheels
• Galfer wave rotors
• Galfer brake lines
• D.I.D DRZ chain
• Driven sprockets
• Carolina Cycle air regulator
• Spencer Cycle airshift mount
• Pazzo shorty levers
• Driven gel grips
• Driven bar ends
• Anodized mirror blockoffs
• SAE outlaw billet rear brake reservoir
• Anodized black clutch and brake reservoir covers
• Custom aluminum seat pan with carbon wrap

Fuel System
• Injector Dynamics 1000cc injectors
• Bosch 044 fuel pump
• SX 1:1 regulator
• SX fuel filter
• SAE outlaw fuel rail
• Aeroquip #8 feed lines
• Aeroquip fittings
• Billet tank plate with sender
• Liquid filled gauge on regulator
• Vortex gas cap

Body
• Catalyst race upper fairing
• Catalyst 4†over street tail
• Carbon fiber dash panels
• Tiger tail
• Sato tank plate
• Clear Alternative smoked lens LED tail light

Sorry for the wall of text there but I wanted to list everything so that the turbo gurus around here can look at my components and advise me if anything is wrong or could use an upgrade.
I have been riding the bike as much as I can and it is incredible. I have been running on 93 octane pump gas. Boost has only been 6lbs (waste gate spring).
The bike was tuned by the builder up to 25lbs of boost and running on VP racing fuel C-16. Bike made around 450 hp. As I am sure many of you know, this turbo should be good for up to 650 hp but judging by the dyno graph with the small .63 exhaust it would be out of steam around 35lbs of boost and 550hp. Smaller exhaust side aids in quicker spool time. It gives up a little peak hp but should be easier to ride since it creates a more linear curve rather than one that brings in the boost so hard that it is uncontrollable.

More Turbo details - .62 a/r – compressor wheel measures 2.375 inducer side and 3.228 exducer side. Turbine wheel is 2.795 inducer side and 2.337 exducer side.

MS Ultra Standalone info – Tailor made for Gen1 Hayabusa and built by Tony Finley of Interface PNP. Does what a standalone does. Controls pretty much everything on the bike in one box. Tony is a electrical engineering genius IMHO and has a turbo Busa and a twin turbo Viper in his personal stable. I will be sending the box back to him this winter for an upgrade to Bluetooth. I will be able to connect to my laptop or even an Android phone or tablet wirelessly to monitor engine performance or even make adjustments on the fly. Can also data log straight to the phone/tablet. The MS Ultra box has a SD card slot for high sampling rate data logging as well.

The bike runs great around town, even with 1000cc injectors. My speedometer is not working right now and I am not sure if the problem is with the sensor or some sort of issue with the CANBUS connection from the Standalone to the AiM dash. Working with Tony to try and figure it out. One other thing about Tony is that he really stands behind his product and even though I was not the original purchaser, he is supporting me 100%. He is even going to connect to my laptop remotely to check my settings, software versions, firmware update, etc. And best of all, next time I go to my local Dyno, I connect my laptop to the bike on the Dyno, Tony connects to my laptop through the internet from his house, and he will tune my bike from like 1000 miles away!

Future plans – I really feel like the bike is complete and turnkey. I am considering switching to E85 since that is what Tony runs on. Of course this would require a retune but I think I could run more boost. Plus E85 is cheap :D Maybe HID lights? New kickstand? Can’t really think of much else.

After reading through a few threads here, I am interested in the RCC Ultra plenum. The option to run so much boost on pump gas is very intriguing to me. Also kind of like the idea of primary/secondary injector system even though my current system can supply plenty of fuel. If a primary/secondary system can improve the around town ride, I would be interested. The bike is loud and mean sounding and I dig that but if I could significantly improve the bike with an Ultra and heat exchanger, then I will put one on my Xmas list.

Questions:
If this was your bike, is there anything you would change or upgrade?

What kind of boost levels are commonly run on E85?

What are the possibilities when using a Standalone along with the Ultra plenum?

Any Turbo Busa riders in NoVA wanna hang out and exchange notes?

Thanks guys. I am looking forward to becoming a member of this community :D

Shifty

October2013backup059.jpg

October2013backup062.jpg

October2013backup070.jpg

October2013backup072.jpg

October2013backup073.jpg

October2013backup076.jpg

October2013backup080.jpg

October2013backup091.jpg

October2013backup104.jpg

October2013backup106.jpg

Thanks! The builder was very meticulous and even refers to himself as "anal" HAHA! He built this bike over many years and it was a true labor of love for him. Part of me even feels guilty about buying it from him. But we are in constant contact and I refer to it as "our bike" when I am talking to him :D

You sir got a screaming deal for an amazing bike. I even look at the work that went into details like the frame. You saved a ton vs. doing this yourself.

I think maybe I'd do a coolant flush cuz that overflow tank has got some nasty in it.

Thanks guys. I am a knowledge seeker and I want to learn as much as I can so if anyone has any advice on the bike's make up please feel free. Also looking for any insight into the questions in the OP. And here is another to add.

Generally, how much boost could be run with a RCC Ultra along with a MS Ultra (or any other) standalone using E85 fuel?

Heh... RCC Ultra and MS Ultra - a match made in heaven perhaps :D

@jermzfree - I want to turn the boost up but the bike is tuned for 93 octane up to the 6Lbs on the spring. Any more boost requires C-16 which is a PITA to get around here and expensive. I am not gonna daily ride on C-16 or course. When I head to the strip, yes. That is why I am exploring the E85 option and the RCC Ultra option...so I can turn up the boost to whatever is safe on E85 (easy to get around here and cheaper than 93 octane) OR go all the way with the RCC Ultra and go 18lbs (?) of intercooled boost on pump gas. :D

@Postal - OMG dude! You are in Stafford?!? I'm in Oak Hill / Herndon. Almost like it was meant to be or something :D I'll ask the wife but not hopeful since she was none too pleased about the bike that I bought without "permission" :D

@Postal - OMG dude! You are in Stafford?!? I'm in Oak Hill / Herndon. Almost like it was meant to be or something :D I'll ask the wife but not hopeful since she was none too pleased about the bike that I bought without "permission" :D

I have some Gen 1 stuff to sell, many years of accumulation. Come by some time and see if I have some parts you need.

P.

Woodcraft stator cover, bst 240, nos, and ohlins shock and forks would be nice but I bet you got something just as good on that beautiful bike.

I think you will be better suited to so with an intercooler over running E85.
E85 is a great fuel, but can have quite a few drawbacks. Much less range, difficulty to start when cold, unless you tune for it. High variability in actual fuel mix. Much lower filling station numbers, etc.
At higher power levels, you will not have enough fuel system to support E85.

With a liq-air cooler, you can run normal pump gas and have at it all day.

Back