Log Homes

jwcfbd

Administrator
Donating Member
Registered
I'm toying with the idea of building a log home. Has anyone here built one? If so what would you suggest, Don't do it, Do it? Here is one I like. Depending on the cost I am going to try to build lake front.

I dunno, unless I was in the rockies up high somewhere, I would be too afraid of termites and Carpenter Ants...Especially in the South... Just a thought. I lived in a Log home for a few years oddly enough on a lake and I really thought it was pretty cool. It definetly adds a...feeling...I guess...Good stuff...

i built a few .................when i was 6 .... hehe out of lincoln logs :tounge:

we use to stay in a cabin that was similar to that in the pic was nice place spent about a month each summer there was cool had good and bad points kinda rustic so if you like the modern look would be bad if the out doors type is great not sure on how the energy is on them depends on how they are built i guess might not hold heat and cool as good :super:

I watched Dean build a huge one on Hometime. Too much work making all of those sliding joints for the partition walls and plumbing.

I have an Uncle that built them for a living (retired now).
Seen quite a few of them being built, and then seen the finished product.
Lots of work, way more money than an equivelantly sized standard construction home.
My sister inlaw's, ex-inlaw's built the biggest one I've seen in my life (he owns a logging outfit, multi millionare).
8000 sq'......30' ceilings, absolutely incredible, and every inch of it built by him, and his son, all by hand, except for the crane of course.
They de-barked all the logs by hand........took three years to build, but was the most unbelievable house I've ever seen.
If you have the money........there is nothing nicer......of course, that's just my opinion.
:beerchug:

I have an Uncle that built them for a living (retired now).
Seen quite a few of them being built, and then seen the finished product.
Lots of work, way more money than an equivelantly sized standard construction home.
My sister inlaw's, ex-inlaw's built the biggest one I've seen in my life (he owns a logging outfit, multi millionare).
8000 sq'......30' ceilings, absolutely incredible, and every inch of it built by him, and his son, all by hand, except for the crane of course.
They de-barked all the logs by hand........took three years to build, but was the most unbelievable house I've ever seen.
If you have the money........there is nothing nicer......of course, that's just my opinion.
:beerchug:
That sounds like a great house but maybe just a little big for me. :laugh:

I've only been in one. The smallest logs in the house were 18" diameter. This includes interior walls. Make sure ALL of your electrical outlets and fixtures are set before the house is "ordered". These are pre-cut into the logs before shipping, make sure you have more than you need, just in case you change your mind.

Beautiful homes though. Good luck.

Later,

Steve

Make sure ALL of your electrical outlets and fixtures are set before the house is "ordered".  These are pre-cut into the logs before shipping, make sure you have more than you need, just in case you change your mind.

Beautiful homes though.  Good luck.

Later,

Steve
One of many questions answered.
Thanks

JW.......I think you need to talk to a contractor that builds log homes......he could answer a hell of alot of questions for ya. :beerchug: :thumbsup:

That is similar to the home I want to build.
External Links Missing

The one I want is apackage system, standard is 6" log, but I would upgrade to the 8" system. I think one of the biggest things with log homes is that every company has a different way / style of making them and the home has to be built / assembles to the letter under their system. Every one that I have heard of with problems, there is always some story where the manufacturer didn't do something "right" so they did it different. Each home - especially the milled log packages, has a special assembly method designed to deal with the logs in their own way. All logs will shrink over time, most of this in the first year. the home has to have a way to deal with this, if not, pressure will form on all doors and windows. I have heard of some blowing the windows out, all of the sudden. Just pick your home and make sure whomever assembles it has done homes from THAT MANUFACTURER before and is familiar with the system they use. Oh, and especially in the first year, the walls will "check" as they dry out and shrink - getting used to their new surroundings. This will sound like 'pops' from no known source, because its from the walls.

I hope I can start on mine in the next 2-3 years.

i own a hvac co. ( plumbing, heating,ac) and have worked on several new log homes and know they cost substantially more start to finish most of the sub trades charge more(elec, and my jobs) because their time consuming, they tend to crack a lot and leaking is common a good log contractor helps alot. i personally like them but would not own one because i would have to move if i got bored of the log look. just my opinion though.:p

i own a hvac co. ( plumbing, heating,ac) and have worked on  several new log homes and know they cost substantially more start to finish most of the sub trades charge more(elec, and my jobs) because their time consuming, they tend to crack a lot and leaking is common a good log contractor helps alot. i personally like them but would not own one because i would have to move if i got bored of the log look.  just my opinion though.:p
very good point Thanks

Back