Lock up clutch

Blake051300

Registered
I'm about to start my turbo install and was thinking about running a lock up clutch so I don't need the heavy clutch springs. The bike is nothing crazy just a stock Gen 1 that will run 6 lbs. Its a street bike that may see only a couple track days. I think with some tinkering it could be setup to work well on the street without slipping it at low rpms. What do you guys think??

A multi stage lock up clutch will give you the best option for adjustment at the track and dyno etc. I use a Hayes for the track and its of little or no use for the street or dyno I have to swap the clutch for that. Have fun. :thumbsup:

You wouldn't run the hayes on the street?

rooted, rom'd, and overclocked. CM 6.0

I'm about to start my turbo install and was thinking about running a lock up clutch so I don't need the heavy clutch springs. The bike is nothing crazy just a stock Gen 1 that will run 6 lbs. Its a street bike that may see only a couple track days. I think with some tinkering it could be setup to work well on the street without slipping it at low rpms. What do you guys think??

I have been running lockup clutches on street turbos for over 30 years, and it is a great choice - however - you don't need a lockup for a Gen 1 running 6 pounds of boost, and you don't need crazy springs. Turbo bikes make the most torque around 7500-8500 rpm - that is where they are most likely to slip, not at low rpms. But if you are going to the track and its in your budget, a multi-stage lockup is your best choice . . .:laugh:

a 2 stage is a good starting point for a combo street strip if not looking to set the track on fire
i used one for a while and loved it

Back