Local tragedy strikes close to home for me:

My first bike was a katana 600 (still have it as a matter of fact). I bought it used and it was my second choice. I was actually on the way to a guy's house to buy a Gix 1000 but he sold it while I was on the way there. I'm quite glad, in retrospect. When you are new to bikes you just have no idea what kind of power they have hiding underneath all that shiny plastic.

It's a shame that the gentleman you're referring too wasn't a more mature rider; even a 20 year old can be a mature rider, know his/her limits, not push those limits and fully understand the risks...it's not your fault or any other salesman's fault for this...it's refreshing to know that there are scrupulous dealers that do try to inform the customers; probably saves a few lives, but in the end, a rider is going to buy what they want and they'll ride it just like they want to ride it...it's all in that level of maturity they have (or don't have) while riding that will dictate whether or not they'll be there next week to ride again...

Damn shame
down.gif
 So sorry to hear it...

sad to hear. I had ridden my dad's '89 cbr for 2 weeks before I went out and bought mine. I had been in the dealership twice before and had not bought. When I went in the third time to buy, the salesman asked me when I was gonna buy it. He didnt ask if I knew how to ride it or warn me of the power or anything of that nature. You are a good man Ted. You did the right thing as a person and as a salesman.

Its not your fault, my 06 Busa is my first bike. Granted I took the MSF course before I got her, and had rented a 600 for a weekend weekend, she is still the first bike I have ever owned. Its not the bike that kills people. Its people riding above thier skill level. Its been 3 month and 5500 miles since I have had my bike with no incedents or problems. I know my limits and stay well within them. If you cant do this even as an experienced rider then its your funeral.

This is the exact reason I don't jump on the "busa for first bike" posts, and brag that "it was my first bike, you will do fine." That may be true for some people, but for most, it is not. I work with a 21 yr old kid out here in Iraq. Now he's putting big money in his pockets, he wants a busa. He has never been on a bike EVER, and tells me how cool is is to see the guys come into the "club" with there cool jackets, and cool painted helmets. After three months of doging the crap out of him, all of us, he sais "well i'll go to the dealer and see what I like" Well he got off the plane in the states and Honda had a display in the airport, and he bought the first bike he saw, a cbr600. In the two weeks he was home, he dropped it once (got stuck under it, had to have his mom come outside and help it off him) and almost crashed twice. Well he made it back and said " glad I didn't get that busa, the 600 is to fast as it is!" Some people just have no idea what there getting into, all you can do is try to tell them, it's up to them to listen.

my busa is my first bike...i have never ridden anything else...i have a friend that has been riding for 28 years..he got his first dirt bike at 2 years old...i called him to see what kind of bike would fit me...he told me the only bike ill be happy with is a hayabusa..i wont fit on anything else..i asked if it was too much bike...he said" there is no such thin as too much bike.just not enough brains." the bike will only go as fast as you make it.

Back