Listen up!!!!!!

SAMBUSA

TATTOO'D WHITE TRASH
Donating Member
Registered
When I came here I didn't wear gear, now because of some of you I start wearing some. So, I'm gonna give you guys some advice to try and keep you safe.

I am a locomotive engineer. Yeah........I drive a train. Choo Choo. Anyway, when you guys come up on a RR crossing stop and look. Everytime. It doesn't matter if there is flashing lights. Don't assume that it is safe just because the lights aren't flashing, sometimes they fail. Ive seen it too many times. Don't think that we can slow down or swerve. It normally takes over a mile to stop in an emergency.

To put it into perspective, imagine hitting a pop can with your car at 60 mph. Thats about what it would be like when a train hits a car. Every time a train hits a car, or a person for that matter, it takes a serious toll on the mental state of the engineer and conductor. So, if you don't care about yourself then at least keep me in mind. I really don't enjoy seeing human remains scraped off the front of my locomotive.

Thats all I have to say. Thanks for listening

You are so correct,my neighbor talks to me all the time about stuff like that....he's a UP engineer

<!--EDIT|GoldenChild
Reason for Edit: None given...|1140901090 -->

Slow down for them ALL the time.
wink.gif

good advise we always have a bunch of train versus trucks around here at harvest time long hours and people unwilling to wait are mostly what it is but sure makes a mess of things
sad.gif

Always, always, always slow down and look. Some years ago a friend of mine was critically injured when her car was hit at by train at an ungated crossing in central Washington. Her fiancee, who was driving the car, didn't survive. Needless to say, RR crossings - particularly ungated ones in the middle of nowhere - get me nervous as all hell.

Thanks for advice.
I have been in the habit of slowing down and looking both ways before crossing tracks. We have cars getting hit at some of these crossings each year. I am thinking on a bike its not going to be good at all.

Back