Left Hand Curve Problem

I have always been slightly less comfortable in left hand turns. I attribute this to the fact left hand turns on the street always have a greater radius. As I judge how aggressively I'm cornering by lean angle, so for a given lean angle in any corner when you corner on the inside, as in a right hand turn, you are traveling slower that if you were to run the same corner, at the same lean angle, in the other direction where you are on the outside of the corner.

So for the same lean angle and the same corner just running the corner in opposite directions will cause an increase in speed when the corner is approached on the left hand. That fact, combined with the reduction in run off room, you don't have a full lane between you and the outside edge of the road, makes for me, the left hand turn to be less comfortable.

This doesn't apply on the track because regardless of the direction of the corner you can use the full width of the lane.

cheers
ken

Here's a visual example. Approach the corner as right hand and it has a smaller radius with "lots" of run off room. Turn around and the opposite is true.

Google Maps

cheers
ken

kml said:
I have always been slightly less comfortable in left hand turns. I attribute this to the fact left hand turns on the street always have a greater radius. As I judge how aggressively I'm cornering by lean angle, so for a given lean angle in any corner when you corner on the inside, as in a right hand turn, you are traveling slower that if you were to run the same corner, at the same lean angle, in the other direction where you are on the outside of the corner.

So for the same lean angle and the same corner just running the corner in opposite directions will cause an increase in speed when the corner is approached on the left hand. That fact, combined with the reduction in run off room, you don't have a full lane between you and the outside edge of the road, makes for me, the left hand turn to be less comfortable.

This doesn't apply on the track because regardless of the direction of the corner you can use the full width of the lane.

cheers
ken

I think this is the best explanation that I have seen. It makes perfect sense now that I think about this way.

I've develpoed the same problem in the last couple years(my daughter has slowed me more than I like to admit).
My main issue is that I'm fed up with being knee down in a great left hander, and then meet the idiot in the car in the middle of the road coming right at me(usually on the phone). All the while never even acknowledging I was ever there...if they even saw me.
I also keep my bike and body in my lane.
I know that favoring one side is a mental thing(as really everything is anyway).
I can remember 8 to 10 years ago before cell phones were the norm that idiot drivers weren' nearly as bad.
At least that's my excuse.:laugh:

I've develpoed the same problem in the last couple years(my daughter has slowed me more than I like to admit).
My main issue is that I'm fed up with being knee down in a great left hander, and then meet the idiot in the car in the middle of the road coming right at me(usually on the phone). All the while never even acknowledging I was ever there...if they even saw me.
I also keep my bike and body in my lane.
I know that favoring one side is a mental thing(as really everything is anyway).
I can remember 8 to 10 years ago before cell phones were the norm that idiot drivers weren' nearly as bad.
At least that's my excuse.:laugh:

You make a good point. Running the inside line in a right hander puts you at the greatest distance form oncoming traffic that may be riding the center stripe. Riding the inside line on a left-hander puts you at the least possible distance from oncoming traffic and riding the outside line leaves no where to go if you have to do any type of evasive maneuver. The only place to go is wide and there is no available asphalt.

Street corners are "Your Lane" no matter which direction you are turning and should be judged as such. The difference in the radius of the outside/inside lane is miniscule. Set your corner speed for "Your Lane" and keep it there. Cornering is about planning ahead and following through.

Speed = Radius

Radius = Speed

This is true on all corners.

Unless it's a long sweeper, you should use the entire lane. Enter on the outside of the turn no matter which direction you are traveling and be patient on the tip in until you can see the exit of the corner. This habit will keep you safe from oncoming traffic. Never enter a corner at speeds that you cannot adjust your line mid-corner.

Back