Led question

Don Hardcastle

Busa Ridin' Sailor (ret)
Donating Member
Registered
On the integrated tail light assemblies, the tail lights and brake lights are the same LED. Is it just a higher voltage that is applied when you use the brakes?

Also does anyone know the "mcd" of the LEDs used in the clear alternatives unit. I have one of those installed. My buddy says they are not very bright in the daylight and kinda of hard to see.

I am considering building my own integrated taillight assy, but I need the answers to these questions first.

Thanks in advance.

Don

My buddies turnsignal is yellow when it is on. I think it is the clear alternative one.

The clear alternative ones are not very bright. When the turn signals are turned on they change color to yellow.
If you want bright go with the UFO integrated brake light, I've had them both and liked the UFO better for visual and it's pretty cool you can program them to do different things.
The UFO is the brightest one out there that I've seen, it's pricey. http://www.hightechspeed.com/

My signals are amber as well. That is not the issue. They are bright enough. It is the brake lights that don't seem to be bright enough. To be honest, I am also doing this just so I can say that I built my own tail light assy. and if I can do it and make it brighter than the one I have now, then so much the better.

Don

My buddy has the hotbody with the led's and his turn yellow with blinker also. But they do suck because you cannot see them in bright sunlight.

UPDATE: My buddy who said my integrated tail light from clear alternatives must be on crack. Shibumi and I just got back from a spirited hour and a half ride. We both looked at the tail lights in bright sunshine (Shibumi even has a tinted visor) and the brakes lights and signals are clearly visible and easily seen. The tail light can be a bit hard to see in bright sunlight but if you miss a bike in the middle of the day because you can't see the tail light then you have some issues anyway. At night the tail light is fine. So I have to call my Harley ridin' buddy and tell him to put the crack pipe down.

Don

I'm not sure it's your harley riding buddy that's hitting the crack pipe? I have not seen one single undertail with those crappy little LED lights that you can see very well on a bright sunny day.

Scooter Girl got in on that group buy for the Mototech (I think that was the one) undertail. I installed it and now I'm wishing someone had it lubed up and stuffed where the sun don't shine. You have to strike a match to see if any of the lights are on during a sunny day. We went on a ride with a dozen bikes and I could always tell just where she was in the group because you could not see her tail light.

I think she has decided to put that one on ebay and buy Motorheads unit. I'm worried someone is going to rear end her with such poor lighting on the rear.

That was my whole point. Running speeds at 150 or so you really need to be able to see the brake light and when going slow you need to be able to see if they are decidding to turn.

Back