Tail light project was a complete success

RussellJ

Rick Rollin'
Registered
So as I posted before, I bought a clear alternatives "100" LED integrated tail light for a Gen2 since I now have a Gen2 tail. There are actually 208 LEDs on the tail light. half for the actual tail light and half for turn signals. I played with the board and found the component that switches the LEDs to ground which turns the half of the tail light off when the turn signal flashes. The two components that do this are circled in the picture of the board below. With that done, the two yellow wires that were turn signals are now the actual brake light wire that turns all the LEDs to bright when the brake is engaged. The issue now is that only 100 LEDs are on for running lights instead of the full 208. To solve this i placed a 30 ohm resistor to the red wire (running light for tail light) and then two wires to the yellow lights. The resistor is identical to the one placed in series on the running light input which makes the running light dimmer than when the brake is engaged. I now have a 208 LED tail light that is BRIGHT. I dont have good pictures but I lit up a wall 25 feet away with this thing. I will get a really good video when I install the tail light. because the board by itself does not really show much. This project cost me about 160 bucks with buying the tail light and LEDs. I replaced all 208 of the LEDs because the board mounts at an angle and these LEDs only have a viewing angle of 30 degrees so you cannot get a full view of the LEDs as they were so I replaced them all with brighter ones and mounted then at an angle for optimum viewing.

The tail light may almost be too bright to be honest. It is gonna be AWESOME :laugh: :thumbsup:. And yes, it took a long frigin time to remove 208 LEDs, put 208 LEDs back on the board, and clean it off along with the modifications I had to make.

Here is the finished board...

IMAG0431.jpg

IMAG0432.jpg

IMAG0432.jpg

:thumbsup:

From my dunce stool :cookoo:

I know it would be better if I had video of the tail light working... That will come this weekend... It is going to be crazy bright. Brightest tail light that has ever been on a busa :thumbsup: Hands down

Perfect!! I cant wait to see the final outcome! Now i need to find a gen 2 tail. then get the whole bike painted when i return home from my deployment.

Back