Led for plate illuminate

billyerds01

Registered
I want to illuminate my side plate without running wires past my swingarm. I'm thinking of pulling an undertail plastic side rivet and mounting a led in the hole, using juice from the taillight. Can anyone suggest a small led that will direct the light from that distance to the plate?:whistle:

working on the same project...(sort of), anyways Go to auto zone and look in their L.E.D section there is a certain product that has 3-0deg lights that you could use to emit light to the license from that distance also on e-bay LUcky bike has 1 product that is also a 0 degree led 2 wire that you could mount from that far away check em out. Fixing to buy some stuff from there as we speak. First time buyer from them but we'll see. I am buying the 90 Deg license plate lights. I like that idea however, mounting it from that area. GOod LUck

How do you know the led you choose will be bright enough from that distance to reach the license plate? I think its a great spot. Why run wires if you can tie into the taillight, right? I might just hit it with a little silicone to take up the extra space in the led undertail hole.:laugh:

go to ebay motors and look for Sik-Lite LED Accent Lighting. they are where i got my light and there not bad. it's a single bulb that projects a direct beam like i described to you b4

I might be Leary of doing that since it might be illegal in a sense for having a white light in the rear of the bike. I know regular plate lights are white,but more they are more confined.

How about posting a pic of the project so we can better help?

i went to the fast and furious section of my local auto parts store and bought a set of led window washer marker lights. i mounted them through the unused bolt holes on my plate, which i had to drill out a bit. very clean. not official "dot" light but works well. if anyone tries this, make sure you use white as any other color would probably get unwanted attention from the popo. i modified my plate bracket in conjunction with small metal brackets from the hardware store and tucked the plate right up under the tail light. complete mod was less than $25

here is a pic of my Honda and i did the busa the same way.
i know its not a good view of the plate lights but they are at the bottom corners of the plate. i will get better pics after work or in the next few days
J%2028858.JPG

Wish it were that easy for me. I have a side mount plate. I have a really good idea though. I'll post pics when I perfect the job!!! You guys are gonna love this one.:thumbsup:

some states frown on anything but straight and at the rear of the bike and i travel way too much. I wanted to keep it as close to legal as possible

I dont travel far on my bike. Alot of shows and some beach bar hoppin', but when I take it out at night I dont want any static. It's an attention getter as it is, they just look for a reason sometimes.

Back