Law?

Pinky Winky

Donating Member
Registered
Im looking at selling one of my 30.06's and one of my .243's to my friend to help pay for my AR-15 .308 build and I was just wondering what is the proper way to sell them to him? Do I need to take them to someone with an FFL or can I just sell them? I dont want them in my name after the sell is the point.

A bill of sale should suffice with both names and signatures. You could even go as far get it notarized at the county office.

As long as you both are legal residents of the state the transaction takes place in, no FFL is needed. (unless there is a State requirement otherwise)

I'm not familiar with Texas laws but a good place to contact to find out would be a licensed dealer or your local law enforcement agency. Both will know Texas law and should be able to advise you in the proper way to conduct the transaction.

If you plan to buy parts from a local dealer that would be my first choice as the dealer will most likely know more about transfer laws and regulations than law enforcement. Not saying law enforcement won't know but the dealer lives by the laws.

Shouldn't be a problem as long as he can legally own a firearm and you cover all the bases and keep proper records.

Bill of sale with serial numbers, description, date, signatures,..make sure he is over 18.

I would do one up on the computer with all printed clearly then sign it. Keep it somewhere safe.

I have only sold one of my guns before. It was my very first .32 pistol. Found out the guy was going around shooting dogs with it, so I told him I wanted it back. Now I have all the guns I have ever bought....unless this can be used against me....then they were all stolen:laugh:

Until they change the laws on private sells...

Last edited:
I have to agree with the bill of sale. You should be able to check the state law on the internet.

No restrictions on private party sales within the state, as far as I am aware. I always sell my used handguns to rooks in my department.
Posted via Mobile Device

Back