Large airbox mod

davedeez

Registered
If cutting the airbox to the size of the air filter is the small airbox mod than whats the large airbox mod? Can any one give me some clarity on the subject? Maybe some pics? ???

the large box mod removes the floor between the two chambers of the airbox.

P2146539.jpg

P3225537.jpg

You've got to fit your own. The large box mod is more of a race only thing. I didn't do this until I was over 1500cc's.

Yea i too did cut the whole floor of the airbox... just inside the lip that holds the airfilter in place. stock or aftermarket filter will still fit and work OK.....Like the other member said he waited till he went 1500cc's [Jealous] I did notice a loss of torque at lower rev's.... with stock cc's....After someone enlightend me
after seeing how small the stock opening is.....truth is only ONE cylinder at a time is sucking air through it.....I regret doing now even if it's been 7 years ago since i did it.
I think the small mod is just removing the flapper assembly.

Yea i too did cut the whole floor of the airbox... just inside the lip that holds the airfilter in place. stock or aftermarket filter will still fit and work OK.....Like the other member said he waited till he went 1500cc's [Jealous] I did notice a loss of torque at lower rev's.... with stock cc's....After someone enlightend me
after seeing how small the stock opening is.....truth is only ONE cylinder at a time is sucking air through it.....I regret doing now even if it's been 7 years ago since i did it.
I think the small mod is just removing the flapper assembly.

No,
you did the small box mod.

The above picture is the big box mod. No filter will fit in there now.

Last edited:
when I did it I cut down everything. You'll notice behind TB holes 2&3 is where the crank case breather hole was. There's a triangular barrier that was there to hold the little foam filter insert. I took everything out of the box. Then with the soldering iron I smoothed and rolled the edges to get every edge out of the box.

Get some uni foam and silicone it over the hole.

Commuta,
That's the cleanest airbox mod I have ever seen! :thumbsup:

small air box mod is simply removing the flapper...the large mod is removing everything just inside the air filter flapper included

if that's the case then I guess I did the newly named "Commuta-Mod" :laugh:

pulling out just the flapper could be considered the ghetto small box mod while taking the affort to trim out the plastic to the inside edge of the airfilter is the small box mod.
small air box mod is simply removing the flapper...the large mod is removing everything just inside the air filter flapper included

if that's the case then I guess I did the newly named "Commuta-Mod" :laugh:

pulling out just the flapper could be considered the ghetto small box mod while taking the affort to trim out the plastic to the inside edge of the airfilter is the small box mod.
the commta mod..yes thats what you did...not to be confused with the lord humongous mod:rofl:

btw both or all 3 mods requir the marble mod or the removal of the pair valve assembly

Back