Lacguering

Martin.UK

Registered
I am about to start painting a second set of body pannels for my busa, and want to know how many coats of Lacquer i should use to get a mirror finish. i know i will need to cut the lacguer back to get it flat, but what i'm worried about is rubbing back to the paint and having to repaint the panel.

Last edited:
If they are the alligator skinned panels on the Gen 1 the prep work will be more important than anything else. Good luck, please share pics of the finish my painter did horrible work on mine.

First, ditch the laquer and get some modern paint. You won't have to work it to get a shine like the older paint.

First, ditch the laquer and get some modern paint. You won't have to work it to get a shine like the older paint.

Have to agree with that one good laquer jobs will be many many coats and hand rubbing.
I painted all the Hayabusa fender eliminators for Compition Werks when the Busa's first came out.....primer and paint.....no multiple coats, no hand rubbing....go to an automotive paint store and they can point you in the right direction.

with the clear technology that's out there u shouldnt have to use lacquer unless you like rubbing...wax on wax off Daniel son.....

Last edited:
agreed. get some base/clear. put 3 coats of clear on it and it will shine pretty good. ive been painting cars for a living for 13 yrs and ive never sprayed one ounce of lacqeur.

Back