stripping paint off plastics?

AJAY

Registered
Restoring a 1971 Honda CB350 and need to refinish the plastic side panels. Any tips on removing paint? One of the panels I want to use has already been badly repainted before, so I'd like to get it down to bare plastic. I'm thinking about trying some Dot 3 brake fluid, but perhaps someone has a better idea?

Just sand her until the paint is smooth...don't take it down to bare plastic. That will create its own set of new problems. If you have to...sand it...primer it...and you have to get the right primer...not all primers work with all paints...don't ask me why I know...after primer you are ready for light sanding...cleaning it down...and painting. send pics when you begin...we all love to see progress on bikes..:cheerleader:

There are plenty of paint strippers if you want to go down to bare plastic, but be careful that they are not so powerful that they eat the plastic as well.

If you decide to use a primer I would go with an epoxy primer as it seals everything and you get to start over fresh.

oh, and don't use brake fluid. some acetone or MEK or something of that nature will be much better. the brake fluid will leave a residue that's really tough to get rid of.

oh, and don't use brake fluid. some acetone or MEK or something of that nature will be much better. the brake fluid will leave a residue that's really tough to get rid of.
Hmmmm, sounds like there's a story behind that one. :rofl:

Just sand her until the paint is smooth...don't take it down to bare plastic. That will create its own set of new problems. If you have to...sand it...primer it...and you have to get the right primer...not all primers work with all paints...don't ask me why I know...after primer you are ready for light sanding...cleaning it down...and painting. send pics when you begin...we all love to see progress on bikes..:cheerleader:

This...

Bare plastic is a bit of a pain, It'll be much easier if you just get it all sanded down nice and flat and get a nice coat of primer on it and go from there..

If you go to bare plastic, use an adhesion promoter and a urethane primer with a flex agent. Dont use epoxy, it is too brittle. If you dont go to bare plastic, just use the urethane with flex agent. Also, if u use a chemical stripper, make sure you neutralize it with a good soap and water wash before applying undercoats.

Back