Kiwi's Winter Project.

Kiwi Rider

Registered
So I usually have a winter project on the go, and seeing as it's winter here in NZ I found a real little gem!
A 1989 TS185ER, it was offered to me by one of the shop's clients for $100 so I just had to go pick it up immediately!!
It was sitting in a shed for years unloved and abandoned... So sad .
Turns out its in restorable condition, but it's gonna need work for sure lol.
Pretty much all there, no tail lamp or kick stand or right side cover (plastic) and the pipe is pretty corroded around the header area, but I ultrasonic cleaned the carb and put some gas in it and a few kicks later she burst into life... Albeit a very smokey life lol!
Warmed it up and she runs mint!!
A little movement in the main bearings but otherwise sweet, selects all gears, haven't tried the clutch out yet though, easy fix anyway. All parts are available too. I've just also scored a parts bike for $20 from one of the mechanics at work, can't complain at all lol.
I had several TS185s when I was young in the 70's, great fun and pop wheelies in 2nd gear easily!
My plan is to make a VMX bike out of it and go have some fun.
What d'yall think?

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

As we're in yet another lockdown for who knows how long, this'll keep me happy..
Keep us updated pls
Thanks Kiwi
Yeah man, heard on trhe radio today about the community cases of Covid, they said 30, and the pending lockdown for Vic. You poor buggers, I'm feelin ya pain, we only had one 5 week lockdown here March 25 last year, no masks either,
You guys have been through it several times huh?
Can ya get a ride in without the cops hassling ya?
Anyway, will take pics along the way and post 'em, with this little Suzook, a wee blast from the past she is lol!
Check this out, wow . . .

Looks like a fun bike to go play on....there's something about the sound and smell of a 2 stroke...
Thing is, as soon as I ride one of these 185's, I instantly am transported thru time to 1975 . . the power curve and lack of brakes and suspension, coupled with a flexy chassis is ingrained into my sub-conscious from teenage years gone by, I actually have memory flash-backs!
It's quite extraordinary to say the least lol.

Thing is, as soon as I ride one of these 185's, I instantly am transported thru time to 1975 . . the power curve and lack of brakes and suspension, coupled with a flexy chassis is ingrained into my sub-conscious from teenage years gone by, I actually have memory flash-backs!
It's quite extraordinary to say the least lol.
I hear you there....

On a similar but slightly different note, certain smells transport me in time and place....

Ahh yah.
My garage is only 6m x 6m and I now have too many bikes and parts boxes, it makes it difficult to move around in there lol.
It might be time instead of wrenching to organize . Better shelving / storage of parts / tools . Use of space that is normally not thought of or used . Reduction of junk parts . Every year I clean out my attic of the acquired stuff that was not used , and really worth nothing .

Example your Desk / stereo are space eaters . A fold down wall table / slim line fold chair . Blue tooth USB powered JBL speaker to you phone with free tons of space .
Back side of you entry door can become a micro shelf for all paints / sprays / oil cans .

It might be time instead of wrenching to organize . Better shelving / storage of parts / tools . Use of space that is normally not thought of or used . Reduction of junk parts . Every year I clean out my attic of the acquired stuff that was not used , and really worth nothing .

Example your Desk / stereo are space eaters . A fold down wall table / slim line fold chair . Blue tooth USB powered JBL speaker to you phone with free tons of space .
Back side of you entry door can become a micro shelf for all paints / sprays / oil cans .
Sounds to me like a trip to Oz is just the ticket for you Bryan....

@Kiwi Rider

gregg ?
nice little bike the 185 - i guess it promises great fun
BUT
before you turn its next screw
get that super ugly black thing away from your w/bl beauty in the next "10 seconds"
seriously dear friend,
how can you spoil a busa like that?
at the sight it literally shakes me with disgust.

take a look at my former busa with the slim rack from sw-motech.
(the muffler at my recent bl/silver ´00 busa is a carbon covered akrapovic one, but a titanium cover /sheath is already available to use)
sw-motech sells also rack - adapters for 40 liter topcases from "givi" or so.

have a nice "winter time"
and good luck with the 185

@Kiwi Rider

gregg ?
nice little bike the 185 - i guess it promises great fun
BUT
before you turn its next screw
get that super ugly black thing away from your w/bl beauty in the next "10 seconds"
seriously dear friend,
how can you spoil a busa like that?
at the sight it literally shakes me with disgust.

take a look at my former busa with the slim rack from sw-motech.
(the muffler at my recent bl/silver ´00 busa is a carbon covered akrapovic one, but a titanium cover /sheath is already available to use)
sw-motech sells also rack - adapters for 40 liter topcases from "givi" or so.

have a nice "winter time"
and good luck with the 185
Now he has a fellow Kiwi who can make him a stellar rear rack...

Anyways, back to business, here's the parts bike I just picked up for 20 bucks.... Amazing! It even runs well!!
It has a few parts that I need immediately so that's cool.
I've already had offers to buy parts or the complete bike from a guy at the gas station . . he saw it on the trailer while I was pumping gas, and came straight over to me all excited and asked me all about it! And that was on the way home from picking it up lol.
He emailed me a pic (the lower pic)of his sweet TS185 VMX conversion bike, love it!!

image.jpeg

Scott McDowells Bitsa TS185.jpg

Back