kinda ticked

mikeled86

SHOT TIME RIP D.A.M
Donating Member
Registered
Well last night I was ridin to bike night at The Lube it was kinda chilly here in ohio yesterday(about 50 degrees) and I just enjoying the ride next thing I know the car in front of me slows way way way down in a hurry and swerves a bit then I noticed why (not like I could have done anything about it anyway) a 5 gallon bucket of paint just fell out of a truck and spilled all over the road and now I have about a thousand nice little paint spots all over my bike and I stop first chance I could to try and wipe of the paint and it was already dry. I am just venting I guess but is there any tips to getting this off with out messing up my paint.

Last edited:
Well, you might try down low, rubbing a little vegetable oil on the spots. I have had good luck in the past getting paint off of my truck with it. Just use your finger though so its not too abrasive. Other than that, not sure what would do it without damaging the paint.

well its just regular house paint and I got it a little wet and picked at it with my finger and it worked a little I just didnt want to spend 7 hours picking paint off

Try buffing it off. Regular house paint shouldn't adhere to plastic very well.

Last edited:
u might try some mineral spirits on it works like thinner try a out of site spot first
Posted via Mobile Device

If its latex paint which it probly is Dont buff it off that will scratch your paint you have to pick each speck off.

Well last night I was ridin to bike night at The Lube it was kinda chilly here in ohio yesterday(about 50 degrees) and I just enjoying the ride next thing I know the car in front of me slows way way way down in a hurry and swerves a bit then I noticed why (not like I could have done anything about it anyway) a 5 gallon bucket of paint just fell out of a truck and spilled all over the road and now I have about a thousand nice little paint spots all over my bike and I stop first chance I could to try and wipe of the paint and it was already dry. I am just venting I guess but is there any tips to getting this off with out messing up my paint.

WOW Good thing this wasnt my thread. The Title would been a little more colorfull, Kinda would not even come close to describe how ticked I would be.

:cursin::cursin::cursin::cursin::cursin:

Sorry to hear that happened, I hope you get it all off.

If it's latex based, use a lot of warm water, and a couple of microfiber cloths. Take your time, and use gentle pressure to avoid rub marks. Twotonevert's suggestion about vegetable oil is a great idea. It will not harm your plastic, and it very well may soften up the paint spots for easy removal.

I hope your bike was waxed..That would make the job so much easier.

If it's some kind of heavy alkyd, or an oil based paint, best get if off your bike ASAP.

Good luck with it. I'm really sorry you had a nice evening ruined by somebody else's stupidity.

Oh, don't think you are the only one this has happened to :whistle:

dont get me wrong I am uber pissed but there is nothing I can do about it. I am glad I didnt hit the bucket it was in the car in front of me did so I geuss I am lucky in that case finger picking is looking like the option I need to go it worked a little last night I am not sure if it is oil based latex based or what kind it is I just know it is all over my bike I am going to try and take a pic of it today when I get off work.

I make house paints for a living. If it is latex paint, use some very hot water. Maybe even take the plastic off and let it soak it in the water to soften it up. If it is oil based paint, wd-40 will take it off if it isn't real thick. Otherwise try a stonger solvent, rubbing alchohol or mineral spirits.

Like you said water based paints come off pretty good with a little water or add soap to get it wetter than water . Glad it came off :thumbsup:

u might try some mineral spirits on it works like thinner try a out of site spot first
Posted via Mobile Device

Try mineral spirits on one of those plastic knitted dish scrubber things - wrapped around a finger, or in a broad even pressured stroke spread across the heal of your palm. Work in good light so you can see the area that you are working on, and rinse the scrubber out frequently. Clean one area at time, don't leave the mineral spirits to soak in longer than needed. I've done this to remove tar from plastic on an R6.

+1 on the "WD-40", i LOVE THIS STUFF, i use in on everything. I have YET to find something it wont remove/clean! Its Very Gentle on plastics Too :thumbsup: GOOD LUCK :beerchug:

Back