Kids and bikes some have no clue

jessup

Just because the dog eats it doesnt mean
Donating Member
Registered
So I am at a Wawa last night drinking a giant water because we all no the obvious that it is freaking hot out.

This young girl (17) comes up to me and compliments the bike (as she should). Then proceeds to tell me that she has 8 grand in the bank and is getting ready to buy a sport bike... She asks me what kind she should get... So I ask her what she has ridden before. Her reply nothing not even a scooter. Then I ask what her parents think... She says they are totally cool with it... I shake my head in amazement and ask her if she has ever heard of the MSF course and again I get the blank stare... I then proceed to go into a very detailed description of all the dangers of Sportbikes to those that are brand new to the sport... It was like talking to a wall... So to sum it all up the youth (some) of today can be really stupid. At the end of our conversation I asked if I could take a life insurance policy out on her for a hundred grand... She didn't think it was funny. Needless to say she has already been to a dealership and picked a bike a cbr 600.... And I forgot to mention she doesn't believe in gear when it is hot out... She thought I was crazy to be wearing jeans a mesh jacket a helmet , gloves and boots in 98 degree weather. I told her to have fun with the skin grafts and broken bones... For the life of me I just don't get it... This wasn't really a rant but I had to get it out to let it go.
E

My friend, all we can do as responcible riders is to inform them of what the right way to go about the process is. You have done that and quite well. We cannot control their descision making process, we can only advise...
It's a shame that she will probably wind up having skin graphs and some surgeries if she's lucky.
BTW, I liked the life insurance policy remark, good way to make a point.

I had a similar experiance with someone new this past weekend, completly clueless on the motorcycle, to him it was like a car, get in turn the key and mash the gas... 2 month old gix 600, no endorsment and i liability insurance only...

I applaud you for your efforts. Some people simply have to learn the hard way.

This young girl (17) comes up to me and compliments the bike (as she should).
LOL at that statement.  But your point is well taken, lots of stupid kids/people out there w/ no common sense.  Watchya' gonna do?
It's not just the kids that are stupid there are plenty of middle and older aged rides that have the same mentality about bikes, It would be safer to say that " New to motorcycling" then kids.

People think they can ride or control the bike, but don't think about what they can't control.
Road conditions, cagers, animal that runs in front of you, something that falls or blows off a car or truck.
Not to mention (after reading 2 stories recently) cagers purposely trying to hurt or kill bikers.

These young kids that are getting on these sportbikes with not riding experience ever scare the crap out of me. Not only do they not know what they are doing, but they endanger everyone around them. Here's two examples:
1. young man (16yrs) goes out (Brother of a Friend) looking for his first bike. comes over and looks at the Busa and starts talking about how that is the bike for him. I tell him it would be the biggest mistake he could make and proceed to pack his A$$ behind me and take him for a ride. He almost comes off twice when excellerating from a stop sign... even after I said hold on I am going to take off pretty quick so you can feel the power. Anywho after the ride he seems to smarten up and decides that the Busa is to much for him. He ends up buying a R6, brings it buy to show it off and nearly hits a parked car cause he doesn't pull in the clutch but does apply brakes... bike hops and stalls. I look at his Brother (my Friend) and tell him to take the bike away this kid is dangerous. Both decide I am not worth their time anymore and ride off. Flash forward a week.... bike is totalled and kid is hurting... riding without gear and lost control of bike... riding in a 25mph zone of twisties (says he was doing over 90mph, BS) went off the road down the hill and into the rocks. Lesson learned the hard way, kid doesn't ride at all now.
2. young kid again (17yrs old), Nephew's Friend, wants to start riding. he comes over to see the Busa and immediately decides its to big. he goes out to the local shops and they are trying to talk him into 1000s and he is just not sure. I go out with him and we look at the R1 and GSXR1000 together and we talk about the HP and how if not careful or experienced these bikes will get away from you. he decides he is not ready for this type of bike. we leave and start looking in the paper for a used bike... nothing turns this kid on. finally he finds a CBR600 that he likes and can afford to buy for cash. he calls me and we go down to look at it.. guy selling it his a large guy and he doesn't like the bike anymore and is looking for something bigger. this kid (Chris) buys the bike and we haul it home in the truck. he immediately goes on the MSF page and signs up for a course and then harrasses me every chance he got to take him out to the parking lot for some practice... passes the MSF course first time and continues to ride in the parking lot and around town.. gets comfortable on the bike and now love to ride. wears his gear all the time and laughes when others give him shite about it.

I really wish all these kids would have the common sense and fear to realize what they are getting into and ask for help and guidance... it would make the roads a lot safer...

sorry for jacking this thread...
smile.gif

Respect is not a lesson you want to learn on a motorcycle. Those that have none, usualy learn the hard way. Weather it's them getting hurt or one of their friends ending up dead.

Darwin and Murphy are out there waiting.

Later,

Steve

Back