Kickstand lowering while riding

Kripley

Registered
I have recently been having an issue where the kickstand has been coming loose on bumpy potions of the freeway/highway and lowering to the point of engaging the killswitch.

When I checked the kickstand out I compared it to my '08 Busa; everything seemed normal, and all parts are secure/tight. When its in the up position it takes a good amount of force (far more force than I would think needed to come loose from these bumps) to push it down and out from its seated position. After it happened the first time (its happened 3 times in total now) I thought maybe I just hadn't pushed it up all the way before first taking off. But I have been careful to make sure its all the way up since then, and yesterday it happened twice on the same ride, roughly 5 minutes apart. I am 100% certain that the kickstand was all the way up after the 1st time during that ride, but it still happened. And there is no way that my foot is hitting the kickstand in anyway to help force it loose.

I have tried searching around but haven't come across any threads of people with a similar problem. I have some experience working on the bike, but its mostly limited to routine maintenance, so this is a bit out of the norm for me. So any suggestions/help would be appreciated. Oh, and its a 2014 Hayabusa.

Make sure the connection hasn't shaken itself loose, if it's good the I think the only other remedy is to tighten the nut and make the kickstand harder to put down. I looped the circuit on my Gen 1 after I had this issue. I've never been a fan of the feature, but I understand why it's there.

Make sure the connection hasn't shaken itself loose, if it's good the I think the only other remedy is to tighten the nut and make the kickstand harder to put down. I looped the circuit on my Gen 1 after I had this issue. I've never been a fan of the feature, but I understand why it's there.
Do you have a rear stand? Put the bike up on the rear stand and sit on it. Fiddle with it see if you can duplicate it or if you can have the bike running while holding the clutch and tap the kick stand ever so lightly to see if you can trace it back.
I hear you Mr. Brown
My process when I had my dual sport was start, put in gear, kick up the kick stand and go. To this day after owning and riding a busa for 12 years I still face the embarrassment every so often of kicking it into first and having it stall lol. I have been tempted to loop the circuit as well but then I figured with my luck right after I do I will forget the stand.

Do you have a rear stand? Put the bike up on the rear stand and sit on it. Fiddle with it see if you can duplicate it or if you can have the bike running while holding the clutch and tap the kick stand ever so lightly to see if you can trace it back.
I hear you Mr. Brown
My process when I had my dual sport was start, put in gear, kick up the kick stand and go. To this day after owning and riding a busa for 12 years I still face the embarrassment every so often of kicking it into first and having it stall lol. I have been tempted to loop the circuit as well but then I figured with my luck right after I do I will forget the stand.
The rear stand is a great idea.

I haven't had a chance to put it up on the stand yet. I am pretty busy throughout the week with school, so I planned on doing it this weekend. But wanted a few things ready to check beforehand. In the meantime, I guess I will tighten the nut more in hopes of preventing it from happening until I can check it out in more detail.

After it happened the first time yesterday, I made sure that it was all the way up, and then purposely hit some bumps to see if I could get it to happen again in order to help verify that the bumps were the cause. And sure enough it did. I have already tried to trace it back with the bike running and clutch pulled in, but the kickstand is securely in place, and when slowly forced down, the killswitch engages in its normal spot.

I haven't had a chance to put it up on the stand yet. I am pretty busy throughout the week with school, so I planned on doing it this weekend. But wanted a few things ready to check beforehand. In the meantime, I guess I will tighten the nut more in hopes of preventing it from happening until I can check it out in more detail.

After it happened the first time yesterday, I made sure that it was all the way up, and then purposely hit some bumps to see if I could get it to happen again in order to help verify that the bumps were the cause. And sure enough it did. I have already tried to trace it back with the bike running and clutch pulled in, but the kickstand is securely in place, and when slowly forced down, the killswitch engages in its normal spot.
I did have a similar issue on my bike. Only thing was mine was the front brake micro-switch for the brake light. The brake lights worked fine when pressed lightly but if you squeezed fully the brake light went back to dim (running light)
Anyway I said screw it and ordered a new micro-switch because I didn't feel like dicking around and when it comes time i want my front brake light switch working (I pulse it while sitting at a light sometimes if its dark or low viz situation). After I replaced it I found a very tiny hairline crack in the switch which was causing enough give internally to open the circuit back up and turn the brake light off.
This could also be the same situation in your instance.

If I'm reading correctly and you are actually seeing the stand is down after hitting the bumps then your switch is fine and working as it should. This would only leave the spring as kiwi stated above. On my old srad the previous owner had lowered it and decided to shorten the stock stand and in doing so caused the spring to be to long and the same thing would happen. I just added an extra spring from harbor freight till i got everything to put it back to stick height and replaced the stand

Update (better late than never..):
First I checked all the nuts and bolts. Everything was to torque specs and it was still happening.
Second I replaced both kickstand springs with my '08 Busa springs, and that fixed the problem.

Thanks everyone who replied with suggestions.

Back