Key

BadWeather

Registered
Lost one of my original keys and went to the dealership they sold me a blank for 5 bucks. Went to the hardware store to have it cut to match and after two trys it still does not work. Is there a chip in the new OEM keys so you can't make copies.

The US model BUSA's don't have the chip yet...

If you have your key code written on your pre-delivery inspection, you can order a replacement from suzuki... ;)

I have not had good luck with any hardware stores like that being able to cut a key correctly for a bike.

I bought a custom key blank and had it cut at our local lumberyard. It works perfect. They guy that cut it looked like he was interested in doing a good job though. I had to make sure the custom one would let me press it into the resess so the lock would release. The lumberyard actually had blanks that would fit my bike. I have a 2008 Genll. Good luck!

Lost one of my original keys and went to the dealership they sold me a blank for 5 bucks. Went to the hardware store to have it cut to match and after two trys it still does not work. Is there a chip in the new OEM keys so you can't make copies.

did you try it in the gas cap or seat release?

Last edited:
I bought a couple of blanks also. I took them to a locksmith and on the first try they wouldn't work. The locksmith said "Let me try something else". The reason it wouldn't work is that the blank was not as long as the original. The blank was cut perfectly, but didn't enter the ignition far enough. He slightly cut both sides of the blank about 1/2 inch further back (toward the part you grasp). If you take it to a locksmith and tell him to modify your blank so it will enter the ignition deeper, it will work. I now have 2 extra keys in the event I lose or misplace the originals.

Back