K&N filter cleaning

Anyone have any tricks?

I have used the cleaning kits, they seem do to "okay" at best.

I have soaked them in hot soapy water, cleaned and then used the cleaning kit. Seems to do a bit better.

Back in my R/C days of youth, we would clean bearings and filters in kerosene, then submerge them in soapy water and used alka-seltzer as an agitator....my next attempt.

At $40 per filter they would be pretty expensive to throw away every 2k miles. Turbo bikes seem to make them extremely dirty inthat amount of time.

not sure if it is a very good idea but I had an old dishwasher in my shop and I ran K&N filters through that thing all the time (electrosol soap)..

I use WD-40 under pressure and then use soad and water. The WD-40 get off that extar dirt that you get on the turbo.

Use a very mild soap like diluted dishwashing soap. Spray it on, let it soak, then rinse really well with warm or cold water.

--Wag--

not sure if it is a very good idea but I had an old dishwasher in my shop and I ran K&N filters through that thing all the time (electrosol soap)..

+1, Another friend told me the same thing about 2 years ago, sure enough, it really works great, but Kris wants to kick my a$$ about every 2 months because I dont have the 'old dishwasher' thing quite worked out yet:whistle:

do not use any solvent/gas/kerosene or your dishwasher is going to be really unhappy... just the filter and the soap.. I have done keyboards the same way (yep computer keyboards)

do not use any solvent/gas/kerosene or your dishwasher is going to be really unhappy... just the filter and the soap.. I have done keyboards the same way (yep computer keyboards)

Which makes me wonder what goes in here.

r8

DSC_0060-1.jpg

:rofl: John funny you should ask.... I did a load of potatoes one time because I heard that people in specific parts of Europe did it that way... had to see if it worked... (and it did amazing enough)

:rofl: John funny you should ask.... I did a load of potatoes one time because I heard that people in specific parts of Europe did it that way... had to see if it worked... (and it did amazing enough)

The heat really did get to you huh?

r8

with or without soap ???

well there was a thing on the difference between the US market and the Euro market and the importance of doing market research before expanding into new markets.. Playtex went bust (pardon the pun) in Germany because their bra's were cupped too small for the women.. One of the appliance makers wanted into the Euro market and their research turned up the fact that many locals used the washing machine to "clean potatoes" so they built the machines to withstand "potato washing"

So I tried it..... kind of weird huh?

well there was a thing on the difference between the US market and the Euro market and the importance of doing market research before expanding into new markets.. Playtex went bust (pardon the pun) in Germany because their bra's were cupped too small for the women.. One of the appliance makers wanted into the Euro market and their research turned up the fact that many locals used the washing machine to "clean potatoes" so they built the machines to withstand "potato washing"

So I tried it..... kind of weird huh?

Yup. It's the heat. "Permanent heat stroke syndrome."

r8

Last edited:
Back