Just reflecting back to do you remember when

ICEMANN

Registered
I was thinking of back when things were different while growing up. I started wondering how much the youngins probably couldnt even relate.

Quisp Cereal
Licking the bowl and mixer beaters of cake frosting
eathing raw hotdogs
13 Channel TV's and NO remote or cable
Rabbit ears (tin foil was optional)
Actually only having ONE TV in your house and having to take turns to watch your favorite show, it was ontop a big square console tv that didnt work
School House Rock
Afterschool specials
Little House on the Prarie
The Land of the Lost
Logans Run
Grizzly Adams
HEE HAW
Saturday morning cartoons
8 Track tapes
33 and 45 LP's (you were lost of you lost the little disc to play a 45!)
Reel to Reel
Drive In Movies
Your first scary movie
Mud Pies
Playing outside til the street light came on (dinner time!)
Playing outside PERIOD
Frying an egg on the sidewalk or street to see if it worked
burning ants w/magnifying glass
feeding huge black spiders with fried ants
Sharing sodas and candy with your friend w/out fear of catching something
Hopscotch
Recess
DodgeBall
4-square
RedRover
Freeze Tag
Red light - Green Light
Mother May I?
Flag football
Playing House
"Kiss and catch"
Spin the Bottle
Your first kiss
Your first REAL paycheck and how proud you were!
Penny candy
DOTS
The boy who died eating "POP ROCKS" and drinking pepsi
Soda in glass bottles without twist off caps
Collecting those glass bottles to exchange for money Camping in your backyard in a tent
Building a tree fort
Building your OWN tent out of sheets, chairs and blankets
sleepovers
Dippity-Do
Aqua Net
Disco night at the roller rink
the YMCA
Couples skate
Your first slow dance
Disco PERIOD
The thought of having HAIR "down there" and under your arms
Thinking you had a mustache when you saw 1 hair
MERCURY Thermometers
Baby Aspirin
Scraped knees weren't a big thing and you proudly showed off your scab
When "streaking" was in
Waiting for 4 hours on Saturday morning to listen to Casey Kasem count down the top 20 songs that week
Recording music off the radio Weeble-wobbles
catching lightning bugs Alphie
Fantasy Island
lite brite
Drive in restaurants with car hops!
Captain Kangaroo, Mr. Green Jeans, Grandfather Clock and Bunny Rabbit
Jiffy Pop
Huge apple computers
sticker albums
scratch and sniff stickers
Monchichi's
hand held games w/BB's and make it into the holes.
Tab pop
mullet hair cuts
Square pegs
jumbo fat shoe strings
Rubik's cube
break dancing
Smurfs
Where is the Beef? and the ol lady
playin guns and not havin to worry about the man mistaking your real looking toy for a real gun.
hidengogetit!

Geez Icemann ! We must be long lost twins !
laugh.gif
I can relate to every one !
wink.gif
biggrin.gif

I'm ALMOST there with you Ice.

( We had two TVs)

How are things for you?? Been out at all??

Ryan

I loved dodgeball! Except everyone had the kid in gym class who failed 11 times and had a full moustache and would knock the piss out of you when you got hit while the gym teacher laughed. You know, The dude who's still bagging groceries 20 years later.

I can relate to all of them, except the mustache. LOL!!!! We must be about the same age. I could even add to the list.

Okay, I didn't think I was that old until I read that list.... now I am bummed....:( I just turned 35 and have done everything on that list...except I never had a mullett, but laugh at a lot of people who did
tounge.gif
and burning ants, or feeding ants to spiders, that was an all time favorite of me and my brothers
rock.gif
were you the guy down the street? You forgot something... catching those stinky harmless snakes..(garter snakes or something like that) and frogs
smile.gif

Last Saturday I actually got up early for a change and turned on the TV. Instead of the Dish or streamwired feed I decide to switch over to the antennae and see what passes for Saturday morning cartoons these days. Apparently nothing does because they no longer exist! Boring political interviews and shid on every channel.

Back in the day my Saturday morning line up would start off with Land of the Lost, Run Joe Run (I'd love to find that on DVD!), Pink Panther, followed by 2 hours of the Bugs Bunny Road Runner show. Then in the evening we had Adam-12 and Emergency which really kicked ass! I'd always miss the end of Adam-12 because we'd leave for Church at 4:45.
mad.gif

On the other hand, Sundays SUCKED back then, especially on a rainy day or in the winter. Nothing but scum TV evangelists or political talk shows on all the real stations and VCR's didn't exist yet so you'd have to resort to PBS that had some fág in tights dancing around a giant Acorn. Later in the morning the GiggleSnort Hotel would air on WGN. Anyone from the Chicago area remember that freakish satanic puppet show? I still remember the glob of clay that would lie there and moan in pain and sometimes a puppet would try to fashion it into something they wanted and it moan even more.

Finally at 1:00 the roller rink would open and you'd have somewhere to go and hang out with friends. It was about the only place that was brave enough to open on Sunday.

Ice...man, we must be about the same age...I can relate with just about everything you listed and more
smile.gif

Land of the Lost was awesome, but after looking at the pic of the Sleestacks, they seemed much more freaky as a young kid...lol

thanks for the trip down memory lane
cool.gif

Wallball. Starblazers, Banasplits, Hanabarbara, Stompers, Spiderman with live actors, big wheel, mean greenmachine, sunday night disney, Mutaul of omahas wild kingdom, Fragle rock, The dark crystal, Krull, Conan, I could go on more but I have to take my morning cra*. Ill come back and rem with ya ice, betamax. The real transformers. Cool GI JOE

Ah yes, memories...

My older brother and I used to wait until everyone had gone to bed, then we'd sneek out to the living room and turn on the TV (yes, we too only had one -- one of those big console jobs that had a phonograph [that's a record player for you youngins] built in. We got 3 channels if I recall...), quickly turn down the volume until we had to sit a few feet away to hear and watch "12 O'Clock High".

I also remember "My Mother the Car", "Mr. Ed", "Laugh In", "The Smothers Brothers Variety Hour", "The Sonny & Cher Show", "I Love Lucy", "The Ed Sullivan Show", "The Tonight Show" -- all first broadcasts, not re-runs mind you...

How about "Jonny Quest"? Anyone remember watching the first season back in, what, '65??

How about Space Food Sticks? Anyone else remember those? They were released at about the same time as Tang (around late '69 to '70)...

I remember buying gasoline for 24.9...

Speaking of gasoline - I distinctly remember the smell of "Ethyl" (some stations labeled it "High Test")...

I remember when JFK was shot - LBJ's horrible presidency - and Nixon's election win...

How about riding around in a car as a kid - a car that had no seat belts? (weren't required back then)

Man, have you flipped the switch on the Way Back machine !!
laugh.gif

Can relate to each and every one of those. How about the twilight zone which was the beginning for tormenting a genaration of children. Ultraman, Shazam, the original Batman, The Hardy Boys and Nancy Drew, Sir Graves, Bill Kennedy, and of course broken rabbit ears with hangers stuck in the ends and covered with foil...

Back