just ordered Pilot Roads

WWJD

Donating Member
Registered
Well, I'm making the jump to touring tires for my busa for one trip to AZ. Ordered a pair of Michelin Pilot ROADS. Gad! Oh well. figuring I can burn tires up in 1500 - 3000 miles on a busa and the AZ trip will be 1200 ONE WAY, I'm going for tread life. Anyone ever use the Pilot ROADS? I doubt I will be tearing up twisties in Phoenix, but I figure I can drop tire pressure to 32 if I need to and get more contact patch and SOME heat.

If anyone in AZ cares, I have two weeks off and will be in Phoenix for about 4-5 days between the 22nd and 27th. I'm riding my busa from Iowa to AZ. My brother lives in Chandler and I DO plan on hitting some outback desert roads while I'm there

Last edited by a moderator:
Still trying to break-in my Pirellis. Let us know how they work out for you. Wish I could ride that far at a stretch.

I'd be interested in a performance report as well. My stock rear is getting pretty worn and I've been considering a Pilot Road to replace it.

Have fun on your vacation Greg
cool.gif

MikeyD is in that area...you ought to send him a PM and try to get together.

have fun
cool.gif

any reason you didnt go with the Avons over the Roads
rock.gif
I've always heard that the Avons get great milage and have excellent traction .... considering them for my next set, just wasnt sure if there's something I'm missing on the Roads
smile.gif

I was just about completly convinced I was going to go with the Avons for my next set. Then Midnightbusa got the Metzeler Z06 & seems to like them. Flip a coin I guess!
biggrin.gif

I put about 1000 miles on my Road Pilots before I ripped them off the rims , I figuerd it was them or me. If you only go stright they will be fine. They were WAY to hard for my tastes. I know what you mean about wanting a longer lasting tires I put 100 miles a day on mine. The old HPX's held up the best be they have been discontinued. I am now trying out a set of D208's. Have fun on your trip, but make tire swings out of those Road Piolts as soon as you get back.

<!--EDIT|Gunnybusa
Reason for Edit: None given...|1126125526 -->

I live here in Phoenix and was pondering a road trip to Iowa since I have family in Sioux City. I don't think I could make it that far. My butt would be killing me. It's only 105(temp) today so not too bad. Once you get over that it's almost too damn hot to ride but I do anyway. Yesterday my girlfriend and I took a ride up the back way to Prescott via Yarnell, Congress, etc. It was my first time on that road and it's a good one with a lot of twisty roads. I actually scraped my shoe for the first time. It scared the crap out of me. Anyway give me a shout when you get here and I will make that ride again with you.

Greg, have a good trip and be carefull. Your a riding fool, I know you wont have a problem making it! LOL

I had every intention of getting the Diablo Strada's [Pirelli Sport/Road tire] but they don't come in a 190 and 190's feel SO GOOD in the highest speed ranges... which I plan to see alot of in the flatter states. I don't expect to be impressed with these tires, but I hope to give them a nice run and wear 'em out so I can replace them when I get back!
biggrin.gif
now that I'm thinking about it... maybe I will switch over and get the 180 Strada's anyway - I just seem to trust Pirelli rubber compounds

djorgensen I'll shoot you a PM when I leave here or arrive there and we can ride someplace but remember I'm on slippery TOURING tires, so toe scraping for me is definitely out!
biggrin.gif

biggrin.gif

Hey don't you worry about toe scraping. My bike is stock and I am a beginner as far as twisties go so when my shoe hit the ground I just about came unglued. I came from riding harleys so I am by no means a corner carver. I prefer drag racing but have yet to take this bike to the track. Anyway I will be waiting for an email from you and have a very safe trip.

i have m1s on my busa and bridgestone touring on my fz1 i get them to edge and they warm up fast. i always heard touring tires heat up good b/c they are run in colder weather???

strips_002.jpg

interesting thought. I read they have deeper rubber also. one guy told me if you are not railing to the edges of your tires when riding you don't NEED sport tires and ROAD tires work fine. hmmmm maybe I will test that theory

Well, I'm making the jump to touring tires for my busa for one trip to AZ. Ordered a pair of Michelin Pilot ROADS. Gad! Oh well. figuring I can burn tires up in 1500 - 3000 miles on a busa and the AZ trip will be 1200 ONE WAY, I'm going for tread life. Anyone ever use the Pilot ROADS? I doubt I will be tearing up twisties in Phoenix, but I figure I can drop tire pressure to 32 if I need to and get more contact patch and SOME heat.

If anyone in AZ cares, I have two weeks off and will be in Phoenix for about 4-5 days between the 22nd and 27th. I'm riding my busa from Iowa to AZ. My brother lives in Chandler and I DO plan on hitting some outback desert roads while I'm there

pilot_road_210x185.jpg
Have a good trip mate
beerchug.gif

...Those tires look good!

Ok, just switched order to the 180 Pirelli Diablo Strada [sport/touring tire] since I REALLY WANTED to try those anyway. Michelin older stuff is unimpressive. I'll let you know how well they grip and rip on my trip. Poet and didn't know it! Stop that rhyming - I mean it! Anybody want a peanut! DOH!

oooH! They are pictured with a Ducati... so they MUST be good!
biggrin.gif
;)

PirelliDiabloStradaMotorcycleTire.JPG

<!--EDIT|WWJD
Reason for Edit: None given...|1126193072 -->

A friend of mine has a XX. He has run the Avons AZ, Conti-force, Road attacks, Pilot Roads, BTO20s. He likes and has gotten the best mileageout of the Pilots first and the Avons second. He rides to the edge of his tires and says the grip is good to him since the rubber compound is softer on the sides for cornering.

Back