Just got back from high country

raydog

Enjoying 1 road at a time
Donating Member
Registered
My family met another family (long time buds from SoCal with same aged kids) in the Sierras, about 16 miles out from Bridgeport, CA. We primitive camped above Twin Lakes on a good fishing stream (caught Rainbow and fried it)and did day trips into high country about 8k to 11k in elevation.....THE WILDLIFE WAS AMAZING. First, our camp was invaded by a large cinnamon Black Bear every day. I did not want to kill this guy but was prepared if I had to. One time my daughter and friend stayed at camp when we all did a 6 hour treck and basically were trapped in our 4wd for an hour while the bear examined everything (and we are really good about storage) including standing on hind legs starring into the vehicle!
Anyways, the pics are in the following order....

First two are me ascending a tall mt near my house called Mt. Rose (11.8k) two days before the Sierras trip (for practice/exercise), I am on the summit pointing at my house in the distance.

Second are misc. pics of wildlife (including that dam bear)...the deer was so forward she licked my camera!

Third are misc. pics of the amazing environment we were in, next time I want to get to the "14's"(real hi country), that will have to be a dedicated expedition to do that with not too much lounging.

Oh yeah, those steaks were filets...SO GOOD in the wilderness!
Doyle

IMG_0016 (1).jpg

IMG_0018 (1).jpg

IMG_0081 (1).jpg

IMG_0082 (1).jpg

IMG_0655.jpg

IMG_0083 (1).jpg

IMG_0084 (1).jpg

IMG_0085 (1).jpg

IMG_0086 (1).jpg

IMG_0089 (1).jpg

IMG_0090 (1).jpg

more pics, I posted accidentally before I got em all up....

IMG_0071 (1).jpg

IMG_0080 (1).jpg

IMG_0092 (1).jpg

IMG_0077 (1).jpg

IMG_0076 (1).jpg

IMG_0032 (1).jpg

IMG_0027 (1).jpg

IMG_0025 (1).jpg

IMG_0024 (1).jpg

IMG_0022 (1).jpg

IMG_0020 (1).jpg

IMG_0006.jpg

Wow!.......:(......just wow.......Florida seems to suck sometimes....

Just simply majestic.. Thanks

Curious about the bear. If you zapped a tree or bush with a shot of pepper spray would it keep him away or would be wind up licking the tree :)

And I'm really surprised you didn't mention the bacon wrapped around those filets :laugh:

Awesome pics Doyle!! Looks like a wonderful trip, beautiful scenary, scary bears :laugh:

Would you do it again?

Awesome pics Doyle!! Looks like a wonderful trip, beautiful scenary, scary bears :laugh:

Would you do it again?

Oh Michelle, we are already planning one.....from here in Reno, there are so many entry points into the backcountry (real packing, no roads, just singletrak/game trails) that it's always "beckoning" me/us. Honestly, my only problem is the bear issue, I made the mistake of reading a research book called "Bear Attacks" a chronicle and analysis of ALL known North American black and brown attacks on humans....AND I SHOULD NEVER HAVE READ IT. I know too much so now I have a hard time getting into a deep sleep in my little tent in the wilderness! Then in the mornings, being tired, walking 10 miles in high country is compromised. OK, I'm sharing my inner concerns here, anyways, I'll figure it out because the lure to be detached from civilization and immersed in nature is too strong for me to ignore it. Doyle

Wow!.......:(......just wow.......Florida seems to suck sometimes....

Just simply majestic.. Thanks

Curious about the bear. If you zapped a tree or bush with a shot of pepper spray would it keep him away or would be wind up licking the tree :)

And I'm really surprised you didn't mention the bacon wrapped around those filets :laugh:

Yeah, I don't know about the bear repellant, still researching its effectiveness and issues re: do you approach and spray a pillaging bear, an attacking bear, both or what? Also, since I carry a .44 mag, should I try the spray 1st for public relations purposes (and the fact that I'm not interested in 1)killing the beast if I don't have to 2)justifying myself to a Game Warden/Ranger). As we all know, rehearsals and best practice increase the effectiveness of the actual combat situation so I'm still in the classroom! Doyle

ps a filet without bacon is like a chocolate chip cookie without the chocolate chips!

Back