JUST AQUIRED 1999 GSXR1300R WITH ZERO MILES!!!

ATMANGURU

Registered
My father inlaw purchased this first gen busa back in 1999 and has had it stored ever since. Long story short, now its mine!!! What to do with it? It will need going through, origional tires/fluids etc. Not sure if I should keep it and ride it, or sell it for top dollar to a collector...thoughts?

So, it was stored with gas in it, I have since drained the tank and cleaned with vinegar---with positive results, as the tank is almost perfect and I haven't bothered with the tank sealer that I purchased.

It will require a petcock/filter, the original has deteriorated and they are asking silly money for a new one. the fuel filter which is external on the first gen will need going through. I have not attempted to turn it over with the electric start but have put 12 volts to it and everything lit right up. the odometer has 2 km on it...that's two. One two Kilometers. I believe it was driven from the shop to the storage lock up where my father inlaw built the crate for it. lol

I put it in 5th or sixth gear and turned it over slowly with the back wheel one or two revolutions with no issues/snags or funny noises.

So, If I continue on this path, and I decide to get this bike on the road for myself what needs attention? apparently there was a RECALL for a faulty chain tensioner that has not been addressed.

Welcome and congrats on the bike....

Pictures are always welcomed here..........

The big conundrum is to keep it and get it on the road or sell it as is to someone....if it were me and it belonged to my father in law, I'd be fixing it and riding it to honor him but that's me....

If you decide to keep it, there will be a lot of work to get it sorted out, the entire fuel system will need to be gone through from injectors to fuel pump and it won't be an inexpensive venture.

Tires will be toast, and if you decide to ride it, you may be replacing the odd seal here and there (forks most likely)...

The good news is, the gen 1 has been around a long time and there are many brains to pick on this site...

ebay will be your friend to find the odds and sods along with members here.

....oh, and you have too many "Rs" in the description....it only has one.....GSX1300R......just sayin'

I read once that museum cars make lousy daily cars as the seals and gaskets never got "excercised." If it were me... There are plenty of nice road-ready 'Busa's on the market. But, a zero mileage unit like yours is special. I would pull it into my living room and dust it with a diaper.

I read once that museum cars make lousy daily cars as the seals and gaskets never got "excercised." If it were me... There are plenty of nice road-ready 'Busa's on the market. But, a zero mileage unit like yours is special. I would pull it into my living room and dust it with a diaper.
Good point.....

Welcome and congratulatory wishes well received, thank you. So there is more to the story, he stored a 2004 R1, and a 2001 GSXR1000 also. I am in the process of posting the R1 on Bring a trailor.com.
I thought the Busa would be the best fit, as I am freakishly tall and it seems to have a longer wheelbase than the others.
honestly, I would rather sell them and find an adventure bike with a more suitable riding position for an old guy, but as you said it would be nice to honour my fatherinlaw with keeping one. The wife has other motivations unfortunately.

I will upload some pictures, thanks for your input.

regards

Welcome and congratulatory wishes well received, thank you. So there is more to the story, he stored a 2004 R1, and a 2001 GSXR1000 also. I am in the process of posting the R1 on Bring a trailor.com.
I thought the Busa would be the best fit, as I am freakishly tall and it seems to have a longer wheelbase than the others.
honestly, I would rather sell them and find an adventure bike with a more suitable riding position for an old guy, but as you said it would be nice to honour my fatherinlaw with keeping one. The wife has other motivations unfortunately.

I will upload some pictures, thanks for your input.

regards

If your wife (the daughter of the original owner) has no qualms with you moving the bike onward, that is a good consideration and if an adventure bike is more to your liking, that's the direction I'd be going....a nice BMW GS1300 would look good in your garage as well....

Someone else would love to get hold of that Hayabusa and make it run again I'm sure......they are a hard sell though.

IMG_0438.png

IMG_0437.png

As much as I’d like to ride an original, they’re only original once. A 2km bike IMO is worth far more than any other. A 2,000km 99 is a (used) bike, your isn’t. Put that new filter on, drain the fuel, spray fogging oil down each cylinder, clean it maybe and cover it. Oh, let me know if you want to sell it. :D Now, which color? One of these?

Back