Jerky takeoffs when cold?

BowDown

Registered
My bike has 5500 miles on it, and when the bike is cold and I feather the clutch out I get alot of jerkiness on the take off. After it warms up it's great... Is this normal? What can I do to stop this?

I ran the stock oil till 600 miles, then semi synth till 4300 miles, and now I have full synth amsoil. I just ride the bike. No racing, wheelies.. what gives?

-Justin

unless you are using regular synth motor oil and not the motorcycle version... it isn't the oil.

your bike should be at operating temps when you start riding...not "cold"

It's the motorcycle version. 3.5qts.

I always let the bike idle for at least a min w/the high idle on.. usually 2 min before taking off. The needle is moving upwards but usually isn't at normal temp till after a 1/2mile. It just seems like it jerking because the coush drive, and possibly clutch slipping? Kinda makes a little rattle noise... it's pretty annoying.

I always let the bike idle for at least a min w/the high idle on.. usually 2 min before taking off. The needle is moving upwards but usually isn't at normal temp till after a 1/2mile. It just seems like it jerking because the coush drive, and possibly clutch slipping? Kinda makes a little rattle noise... it's pretty annoying.
Try holding the clutch in for a few seconds before you pull off. That will put a little heat in to the oil/clutch.

Try holding the clutch in for a few seconds before you pull off. That will put a little heat in to the oil/clutch.
Sounds like a good suggestion. I will do this tomorrow morning. I really don't pull the clutch in at all while it's running until I want to leave. I back the bike out of the garage in neutral, fire it up while I put my helmet and gloves on.. roll the bike back into the road, pull in the clutch and go.

I let mine warm up...

once...

you might also crack the bleeder open to make sure there is no air..

without knowing how you ride or shift, it is pretty hard to guess the condition of the clutch but if it is jerky or grabbing, you may have flattened the pack or just flat worn the thing out..

It should not "jerk" cold or hot.. it does not take much to pull the pack and look at it (or have someone do it)

I've heard rumors of clutch slipage with synthetic but it seemed to be hearsay. Cold oil could be thicker and maybe thats whats happening? If nothing else works, try going back to dino oil and see what happens.

You should be running the Amsoil MCF 10w40, the MCV 20w50 is for air-cooled. I never pull away before warming up. I like my head gaskets healthy...... fire it up, smoke one, helmet on, gloves, and roll....needle right in the middle......be kind to your bus' and she'll return "in kind".....
super.gif

The jerky-condition could be newness....at 5500 miles, mine was still kind of sharp around the edges....all that compression, and fresh clutch plates, and me only at 5500 on a MONSTER we call the HAYABUSA !!!!!
super.gif

super.gif

Well I didn't ride this morning. I will be going home to get my bike during lunch though. You say I'm running my oil low? I will add the other 1/2qt of 10w-40. The manual says 3.5qt and the looking glass showed full. Not sure if it's low now? I used a 1/2qt of oil before the last oil change. (3.7k miles?). When it's warm she runs great. It's just that first take off it jerks. Only thing I can relate it to is like a bicycle.. like when you start pedaling forward you have that little bit of slack before it catches? Well it does that over and over.. makes a little noise too. Maybe I should be reving it a little higher on cold launch? My other bike never did this.. and it's something that has gotten worse since after the first oil change.

Course now that I think of it.. I changed out the mufflers after the first oil change.. but I still have the stock header in place. Just changed the midpipes and mufflers. Think this might be part of it? Alot of times when I leave it's like 35-40deg.

leave with the fast idle on...turn it off when you get down the road...

Can't beat that AMSoil best oil i've used yet...
hello.gif

Well I added the leftover 1/2qt of oil. It didn't do it when I took off today. Course it's pretty warm out. I would imagine the oil just isn't warm or lubing up the clutch before I take off in the cold mornings.

Well I didn't ride this morning. I will be going home to get my bike during lunch though. You say I'm running my oil low? I will add the other 1/2qt of 10w-40. The manual says 3.5qt and the looking glass showed full. Not sure if it's low now? I used a 1/2qt of oil before the last oil change. (3.7k miles?). When it's warm she runs great. It's just that first take off it jerks. Only thing I can relate it to is like a bicycle.. like when you start pedaling forward you have that little bit of slack before it catches? Well it does that over and over.. makes a little noise too. Maybe I should be reving it a little higher on cold launch? My other bike never did this.. and it's something that has gotten worse since after the first oil change.
Have you checked your chain tension lately
rock.gif
?, that click is the drive gear ratcheting the chain links......

Well I have noticed it a slight bit on first take off. Nothing to worry about, but I do feel a bit of slip. It's prbly just the oil not warming the clutch yet.

How much slack should the chain have? I just had the rear tire replaced and I'm not too sure if it's set right or not?

Back