Jack is leaving...Im not happy.

BigDiesel

Registered
I dont post up much about negative s*** but this is really hard for me.

My wife n I adopted Jack last year in July from a reputable Breeder in WI; he was almost 3 when we got him, seemed pretty healthy n very nice...well, after we got him home, the probelms started n havent really ever stopped.
He either had, or quickly contracted Whip-worm right after we got him which took over a month to get fixed...n since then he has still has on-off problems w/digestion and usually he sleeps in our KT...picture a small COW, with no bladder control-in your HOUSE. not a pretty sight, or SMELL, to wake up to:banghead:

Two vets, two different Dog Trainers (i forgot to mention he scares the bejeezus out of every neighborhood dog in the area, n Amy is afraid to walk him by herself; Jack easily outwieghs her n responds only sometimes to her verbal commands) and countless bags of dogs*** shoveled off my kitchen floor later, and I woke today to find???

Jack now knows how to use the WATER DISPENSER on the front of my refridgerator-how do I know??? the pool of water/dog p*** was a pretty good clue when I stepped in it this morning @7:41am taking Jack outside, after discovering possibly the biggest PILE of diarrea I've ever seen.

I was so stressed out/upset/confused by all this, I almost lost it n took out my frustration on Jack-but I managed to just tie him outside while I cleaned up the mess. I feel ashamed, but I actually yelled at Amy out of frustration from all this- I NEVER YELLED AT MY WIFE IN 4 YEARS, and I have to do whatever I feel is necessary to keep our relationship the way it has been since we met; right now that means getting Jack out of my life, which is absolutely the LAST thing I want...I've been dreaming about owing a Great Dane since I first saw one as a young boy-fast forward to when I stood 6' 5" and ran into another one in my teens; I knew then I had to have one of these gorgeous, giant beautiful animals as my own. Amy n I scraped n busted our butts to get our first home last year, just so I could finally have a place with a yard big enough for a big dog...and now, I realize the breeder gave us a SEVERELY f***ed up dog-Amy has raised n groomed/handled dogs for show for over 10 years, and she never saw or even heard of Danes having as many problems as Jack has: Skin problems, digestive & bladder issues, and the inability to follow orders from anyone unless it suits him have just been too much for us to bear, on top of all the Vet costs and feeding, the beds/dog supplies/toys/etc is just adding up n Jack has not really improved health-wise or socially towards other dogs since we got him.

Talked to the breeder and she is already looking for someone else to place him with, so no worries about sending him to a Rescue or the Humane Soc.

not much else to say...I'm going to miss this big dumb cute smelly loud silly lovable SOB for a long time.:down::(

pics 083.jpg

Last edited:
Man, that breaks my heart. I just went through the same thing with my dog earlier this year. I feel your pain, they touch us in ways that is just unbelievable.

Sorry to hear it had to go like this.

Sometimes it just works out that way.

We lost our beloved Boston Terrier, although not your situation, and Mikki still tears up after 3 years.

It's tuff. Real tuff.

r8

Last edited:
Words escape me.

Be strong in the knowledge that comfort and peace lie ahead for you and Amy.

Last edited:
I'm sorry to hear that...we have a 3 year old Dane and he is the love of our lives...best dog I've had. I know they can be problematic, and not cheap to keep, but worth every penny. Does sound like the breeder unloaded a problem child on you.

As long as he goes to a loving second chance home, you are doing the right thing.

Scott, Amy, I know this is tough on the both of you but ya gotta do what you gotta do. Sounds like he is stressing your marriage, dont let that happen. Stay close to each other and keep your love for each other strong. You will be glad you did in 20 years.

Scott, Amy, I know this is tough on the both of you but ya gotta do what you gotta do. Sounds like he is stressing your marriage, dont let that happen. Stay close to each other and keep your love for each other strong. You will be glad you did in 20 years.

:clap:

sorry to hear that! He is such a cutie.

if you'd like our female great dane, we would be more than happy to give her to you. Our only issue with her.... she eats the ducks and guineas and is now working on small cats.

hey he may be really happy out on some farm, you just never know... at least he had a good home with you and I am sure he will have another if you have any say so.. :) I would not feel guilty, some matches just do not work..

We had a Dane when i was a kid and pretty much the same problems. My mom woke up one morning an slipped an fell in one of those HUGE piles of diarrhea. My dad an I laughed our a**es off cause it was all up her side an in her hair. Same thing happened the next night but to my dad. Next day he took her out to a friends farm an they never had a problem with her.

Big dogs are a huge amount of work to maintain and big dogs with special needs are beyond most peoples abilities. The sad part is that allot of breeders today continue to breed dogs despite internal health problems to achieve a conformation title. These breeders dont do the dogs or people any service.
Sorry it isn't working out. This dog needs a special diet and probably meds with allot of outside time. Retired previous or current Dane owners with some property would be ideal.

Good on you to put the relationship first, you will have another dog at some point and hopefully better luck next time.

Sorry to hear, Scott. I know it's tough to do, but it sounds like you're doing the right thing and Jack will still have a good home.

I am very sorry to hear this. I for one know of how much you can grow to love a dog. Our Bassett Hound, Dudley, had kidney/bladder stones badly! I almost mortgaged everything to pay for his surgery. Even after surgery he still needs a special diet and medication. We had to let my mom and dad take him, and even my mom complains of the amount of work involved.

Just know you are doing what is best for you, Amy, and Jack.

man! If that don't break your heart, I don't know what will. Big D, got anymore pics of the happy times with you, Amy and Jack? The good times are always the ones to help lift your spirits. Just like the ones with you and Jack in the snow. That's a great one. :beerchug:

What a beautiful dog. Maybe taking some special pics of him will help.

I know when I see cool pics of my cat Edger I smile and it's almost like he's here.

Very sorry to hear this Scott. I know you love him, but I also know you love Amy more. Do what you have to do to protect and nuture your marriage, it will all work out.

Oh man. I am sorry for you. I remember getting rid of my Dalmation when we moved to Germany. That really is hard. My heart goes out to you.

Back