I've got a bad feeling

I just wanted to ask everyone else and see if it's maybe just my area that this is going on in. In the past couple weeks since it's been nice enough to actually get out and ride I have noticed a couple things.
#1.) There are entirely too many people that have little to no riding experience going out and buying brand new r1's, cbr1krr's, zx10's, and gixxer 1k's. I have seen a ton of it already this year.

#2.) The people doing this are also tearing up and down the streets with absolutely no protection on. No helmet, no boots, no gloves, for gods sakes I even saw a guy on a gixxer with shorts and sandals on the highway the other day.

Now why am I saying I have a bad feeling about this? The fact that too many people are on bikes that are more than they can most likely handle coupled with the fact that they aren't even wearing helmets makes me feel this is going to be a BAD year for lots of people getting hurt. I know the other day here in one day we had 5 motorcycle crashes on the news. Just wondering if people are more responsible other places or if this seems to be a trend.
Yep more and more every year..............

Same here in NewYork. I can't believe all the young guys asking me, what should I get an r1 or a zx10. how about the gixxer 1000. When I ask how much experience they have they all say " a little " One kid said to me it was about making a statement and thats why he didn't want a 600. i'm like dude, you know how fast 600's are today but he didn't want to here it.

Come to think of it, I've been noticing it too. Helmets required in CA but I see short, tank tops and flip flops in various combinations dang near every day now.

Get ready for some regulatory activity if this keeps up for too many more years.

--Wag--

And another thing;

You ever wonder why cops give us a hard time, it is because of these fcks giving the rest of us responsible (ok a little more responsible) riders a bad name.

I might whack the throttle from time to, which I know is not safe, but if your going to stunt with out any protection there are places you can go to do it.

I don't know maybe it should be harder to get a license. Then again you would probably have a lot more people driving with out license then.

Was out riding today and watched a novice driver plow into the back of a truck at a stop light. CBR1000RR. Kid was 17 and this was his first bike, which he had been riding for two whole weeks.

Bike is toast but thankfully he had a good helmet on.

Too much bike, for too little experience

I too live in Colorado, and over the past few years there has been a dramatic increase in bikes every summer. Some observations I've made or am familiar with...

Harleys out here do not do 45. Granted they are like piloting a tuna-boat, but they go very fast, and very straight and too often they forget about the very straight in traffic.

I don't much subscribe to the rising gas prices theory as an explanation to the booming increase in numbers so much as I attribute it to the price of bikes simply haven't gone up much in quite a while. An 18 year old kid can easily scrape up 4-7 grand within 6months to a year's time.

After dark you can't cruise the interstate anywhere near Downtown Denver without really nutty stunters zipping by on one wheel or standing on their heads.

Posing runs rampant, and it's all about prestige. I swear I'm probably the last rider in Colorado who still wears a black leather sportbike jacket in favor of looking like a walking billboard for sponsors. And because of this prestige mentality, new young riders would sooner pedal around on a BMX bicycle before being caught dead riding anything less than an R1 (Which I'm still trying to figure out why the R1 is so revered over other options in the same class). And you'd think this mentality would have the positive effect of promoting more safety gear worn...however you never see them worn by riders who are actually riding. Only those downtown sitting or standing by their bike.

MSF riding courses should be mandatory for licensing. I remember when I took the MSF beginning rider course (and learned I knew less than I thought I did), one kid not yet old enough to drink couldn't pass the class. And I mean failed miserably. A week later I saw him in a bike shop picking up his newly purchased R1. This from somebody who couldn't maneuver a 250 nighthawk reliably.

A majority of the sportbike riders pay huge sums of money for really beautiful, shiny, elaborately decorated helmets to be prominently displayed for all to see, mounted to the helmet lock beneath the rear seat while riding. (k, I must admit I used to be guilty of this one from time to time) Or to be carried around with them just so everybody around will know they ride a bike when their bike isn't around to be an obvious giveaway. Don't wear it though...afterall, sweat will make it stinky and lose that new helmet smell.

<!--EDIT|Scribbler
Reason for Edit: None given...|1113191762 -->

My favorite line when you ask them why they are not wearing gear, "I don't plan on crashing." I really wish I had the power to choose when and where I was going to go down like them.
rock.gif

Funny that you mentioned that, I've said the same thing. Here where I live we have already had a person killed last week with no helmet. They could have survived with one.
A friend of mine's step son just bought a GSX600R has never ridden a motorcycle in his life, he bought it because all of his buddies had them, they have the same experience as him. The passed me yesterday shorts, no helmets, and girlfriends on the back.

I drove through Indianapolis yesterday and saw very few wearing helmets let alone jackets/gloves.  

Saw 2 busas  one on the east side and one on the west side.. neither guy had any protective gear on.. and the one was weaving in and out of traffic with big rigs around.  Both were young guys...

<!--EDIT|briXXer
Reason for Edit: None given...|1113223433 -->

Two dead in Arkansas already. Both cruisers, both died from head trauma, go figure.....I guess the Hardley shop sold them on the "9' tall & bulletproof" option....I no need no stinkin helmet, I tuff guy. My policy...you want to ride with us, gear up or stay home.
soapbox.gif

Florida is bad with this.. kids on gixxers, no gear, no helmets, girlfriend on the back in a bikini.

Yeah, yeah, all the guys ears just perked up.. but I'd hate to see her after the crash..boobs ground down, butt full of asphalt, head smashed in.. yeah she's real pretty now, isn't she?

The people we ride with MUST have gear. No gear, no ride. We'll leave your butt right where you stand.

It can be 95 degrees out, we've got helmets, jackets, gloves, boots and jeans (or perf leathers). Yeah, it's friggin hot.. but I'd rather be safe and sweat out my breakfast, then have a chance at not having any skin.

But I can remember being 19, and thinking I would never die. Luckily I matured.
cool.gif

Back