It's Finally here . . . Retirement for Kiwi!

Kiwi Rider

Registered
Ok guys, I lied . . . I'm not really retiring, that was click bait, but it's close, oh so close!
This week coming I'm cutting my work week down to 3 working days (8 hours a day) and having 4 day weekends!!
Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeehaaaaa!!!!
I turning 65 in early July and I reckon it's time to have some more days off work and get some stuff done that I've been wanting to do for years.
Here in NZ we qualify for the National Superannuation scheme which pays $1000 per fortnight, BUT I am able to carry on working and earning WITHOUT it affecting the Superannuation, I just have to pay 17% tax on it as 'secondary tax'.
It means that i can work 3 day weeks AND STILL EARN MORE than my old 5 day weeks!
So my plan is to carry on for a year or two and save some serious savings.
Aaaahh retirement looms...
About bloody time too!
Saturday Morning Weekend GIF

Would you mind filming yourself doing that bed flip for the forum? It seems apropos with all of this excitement. You might want to put on your helmet and safety glasses though.

Congratulations. I hope that you enjoy every bit of your extra time.

It means that i can work 3 day weeks AND STILL EARN MORE than my old 5 day weeks!

Similarly here in the US we have plenty of engineered disincentives to work. Do you get fined if you do not subscribe to government healthcare now, like we do?

I cannot imagine the number of bikers that you have helped in your career, with expertise, and diligent and ethical work. We could definitely use more like you.

I wondered if there are enough youngsters following behind you to keep up with the pace of vehicle needs. I looked it up and it sounds like New Zealand, similar to everywhere else, cannot avoid the shortage of automotive techs?

Police and 4 years of Military. I'm medically retired. I'll be dying soon I'd imagine. My blood pressure was 191/123 this morning and I'm on several different meds. They can't seem to get it down so I'm not thinking the old ticker will keep going too much longer. I've had stage 3 kidney cancer and have 1.5 kidneys left. So I took 72% tax free and ran for the door. I'm working for a technology company now making more than double the money I made when I was working, and still have my pension coming in. So I more than doubled my money, work with my old boss (he got hired by the same company) from the police dept everyday and don't have to worry about any of that police crap. It would be great if I was healthy.

Ok guys, I lied . . . I'm not really retiring, that was click bait, but it's close, oh so close!
This week coming I'm cutting my work week down to 3 working days (8 hours a day) and having 4 day weekends!!
I turning 65 in early July and I reckon it's time to have some more days off work and get some stuff done that I've been wanting to do for years.
Here in NZ we qualify for the National Superannuation scheme which pays $1000 per fortnight, BUT I am able to carry on working and earning WITHOUT it affecting the Superannuation, I just have to pay 17% tax on it as 'secondary tax'.
About bloody time too!
View attachment 1666970

Woohoo!!

Police and 4 years of Military. I'm medically retired. I'll be dying soon I'd imagine. My blood pressure was 191/123 this morning and I'm on several different meds. They can't seem to get it down so I'm not thinking the old ticker will keep going too much longer. I've had stage 3 kidney cancer and have 1.5 kidneys left. So I took 72% tax free and ran for the door. I'm working for a technology company now making more than double the money I made when I was working, and still have my pension coming in. So I more than doubled my money, work with my old boss (he got hired by the same company) from the police dept everyday and don't have to worry about any of that police crap. It would be great if I was healthy.
Whoo, that was a hard thing to read.....

You definitely deserve to get out in the wind on that red beastie and enjoy yourself....

Stay strong.....Wishing you good health and many hours of happy riding....!!

You are in my thoughts and prayers . . .
prayer is pretty powerful stuff so don't be surprised if your health improves!

You are in my thoughts and prayers . . .
prayer is pretty powerful stuff so don't be surprised if your health improves!
Millionaire :lol:
Money? pffffftt.
being healthy and happy is the target we all should be shootin' for,
. . . money will come after that.

Hope they can get you to feel better so you can enjoy a few more years of the nice income you have now. I’m feeling less and less happy at my job after 15 years of hard work and being screwed out of a position that would jumped my pay two levels higher than my current simply because my boss didn’t want to let me go since it meant his department would struggle (currently no good candidate that could take my roll). I always think about how much work and effort we put in and how easy life can change due to health issues. I should do like you and get a job I’m happier with that also makes good money and maybe even be remote or at least hybrid.

Last edited:
About bloody time too!
View attachment 1666970
Congratulations, Greg!!!!! When I grow up I want to be like you!

About bloody time too!
View attachment 1666970
Around here they call that "semi-retired" and not a bad way to slowly wind down your career....

A guy like you is hard to replace at a bike shop I'd imagine so they will feel your not being there even for one day a week...

Around here they call that "semi-retired" and not a bad way to slowly wind down your career....

A guy like you is hard to replace at a bike shop I'd imagine so they will feel your not being there even for one day a week...
You bring up a good point about the shop missing @Kiwi Rider. Seeing how companies are, I wouldn’t be surprised if they now feel like offering better pay to motivate him to work more hrs.

Last edited:
Back