It was get out of the water!!! at the beach yesterday.

Blanca BusaLess

Suffers from PBSD
Donating Member
Registered
Dad, wife, bro, son and I went to the beach yesterday. We were further south about a mile down from the public beach on a friends private area and there was about ten to fifteen people around us. Beautiful day, crystal blue water. Swimming for about an hour and then got out. Dad and wife stayed in. Few mins later I'm sitting down glassing the horizon as I usually do. It's the beach, never know what you'll see? So I'm sitting there watching dad and wife laze around talking and a few seconds later a little voice in my head is screaming! By the time I noticed them they had already swam north past both of them about ten feet away. Then it clicked 'holy crap those are big!' I jumped up and calmly but loudly said 'out of the water!' wife and and dad were like 'duh? Huh?' I repeated louder this time as I was myself going out into water to get both of them 'OUT OF THE WATER!!!' then it clicked. Like A Formula 1 Jesus my wife was gone but poor old dad was just chugging along. Meantime these large dark shapes had turned on him and were slowly approaching. The glasses I wear cut right thru the water and allow me to see things the normal eye or glasses can't see. I grabbed dads arm and pulled him out of the four foot deep water he was still in. We all got back out and turned and looked and there they were just cruising slowly in typical S pattern along the shore. Nobody could really see them until we started passing my glasses around and then everyone was like 'oh my!'. A lady and her boyfriend, French tourists tried them on and didn't go back in after seeing them. So we followed them down the beach for quite a ways as it was still unclear as to what they were. Then in a little wave all of them shot after some bait fish and broke the surface. We saw their dorsals and tails break and flop over. Large very large clear flexible fins. These were not sharks, they were a small pod of Tarpon. Smallest one was around three feet and larger ones were at least 4-6 feet long. These are large 1-200lb fish that look like a huge bass. Until you know you dont know but it's best to just 'GET OUT OF THE WATER!' :laugh:

This is what they look like:
tarpon150lb_onfly_apalachicolafl.jpg

Better to be safe, I remember a long time ago my cousin was about 10 and my aunt saw something in the water. She took off sprinting into the water, missed his arm and drug him out by his hair. I'm glad yours went better lol.

Isn't there a place in SoFla where you can hand feed tarpon?

From my dunce stool :cookoo:

ahhh a good ole Jaws moment huh? i remember when i was a kid swimming at VA beach seeing dorsal fins about 100 yards out,
dad would say oh those are just porpoises, strangly however when Jaws came out he kinda changed his tune and would get out
of the water if he saw a fin of anykind:laugh:

That'll get your attention. :laugh:

Blanca Busa said:
That's exactly what my brother said. I've got a Penn gold spinner set up specially for Tarpon.

Nice reel! I have an 850SSm. One of these days I'll take it to the beach, but it works great for the catfish up here. :thumbsup:

Sent from my iPhone using The Force

I'm not much of a fisherman, but I've been tarpon fishing in Punta Gorda Florida many times. Tarpon fishing is a blast.

:whistle:

View attachment 250555

That can hurt! Tarpon have a solid bony jaw. Almost impossible to set a hook in them. Hence the use of circle hooks. These are designed to slide to side of mouth before you set them. Better chance of getting a good hookup. Get bit like that I imagine even from that small one would hurt like a mofo.

Blanca Busa said:
That can hurt! Tarpon have a solid bony jaw. Almost impossible to set a hook in them. Hence the use of circle hooks. These are designed to slide to side of mouth before you set them. Better chance of getting a good hookup. Get bit like that I imagine even from that small one would hurt like a mofo.

Bunches of videos on YouTube. Women and kids doing it with no ill effects:dunno:

Bunches of videos on YouTube. Women and kids doing it with no ill effects:dunno:

Really? I would think it would hurt like heck? Things all bone?
I wouldn't do it cuz if I did I'd be first to get his hand broke :)

sounds like a twist on that catfish hand fishing show....that i dont watch...thus why i dont remember the name to it...uhhh...yea

Back