It aint no Busa, but I repaired it myself!

Kiwi Rider

Registered
A guy I know asked me to have a look at his '91 GSF250 Bandit that he had just acquired.
When he was on the way home from the seller's place, the bike crapped out and he had to call his missus to come pick him up with the car and trailer.
He told me it was running really poorly, with a lot of surging and misfiring.
I took it home on my trailer and that was back in July of this year . . . I know . . but he said he was in no hurry for it and wished he'd never bought the thing, impulsive decision I'm thinking lol.
After a few hours of checking it over I came to the conclusion the compression was way too low to allow a proper combustion, consequently fouling the plugs and it was near impossible to start without a jump battery or a push start.
Compression test showed it only had 50-60 psi in each cylinder.
Soooooo . . . . over the next few months I picked away at it and here is what I did . .
I checked all valve clearances (shim under bucket) amd they all had clearance, I checked cam timing, all ok.
I did a leakdown test and it had leakage into the crankcase, valves appeared to be holding pressure.
I stripped the engine top end and measured the pistons, ok
the ring gap in the bores, excessive at .025", the max is .012". (min is .008")
the piston to bore clearance, ok
the bore ovality and wear, all within .002" so all ok.
The bores were glazed pretty bad so I gave them a decent hone, replaced the rings, fitted new base gasket and head gasket, had the cylinder head stripped and surfaced, .002" machined off it, checked all the valves and seats, all looked ok, reassembled and set all valve clearances to spec.
Rechecked the compressions . . . wow! all around 200 to 210psi !!!
I then stripped the carbs and the pilot jets were quite blocked, the needles were set incorrectly, so I set them back to standard position, circlip in the middle recess. The mixture screws were seized on 2 carbs, I freed them up and replaced the little o-rings and washers sealing the mixture screws in their seats. (2 were missing altogether!)
I replaced the needle and seat o-rings and set the float heights to the correct height.
Checked the main jet size and condition, and also the starter jets (choke circuit), they were ok.
Fitted new spark plugs, oil and filter changed, and cranked it over.
She smoked a bit on start up for a few minutes, then cleared and ran quite nice.

I also stripped and cleaned the calipers front and rear, replaced front pads, new brake fluid,
stripped and cleaned the forks, new seals,
cleaned, lubed and adjusted the chain,
went through all the electrics and cleaned all the main connections, charged and tested the battery, that was ok.
I gave the bike a thorough going over, and corrected a lot of issues caused by people fiddling with it and not knowing what the heck they were doing.
Anyway, here's a short vid of a cold start up, it's 18CdegC so not that cold lol.
I'm pretty chuffed at the result, but I don'yt know how the owner is going to react when he sees the bill . .
$550 in parts and $500 in labour.
I actually spent a lot of time on it, maybe 40 hours, but it was a bit of fun for me just working in my own space, and at my own pace, no pressure at all.

Labor way cheap Greg ,but it's a passion you have . It's not always about the money .
I'm $55 an hour in my shop @ home with true punch in / out by the minute times
Most of my ZRX jobs cost more in repairs/ parts than their worth. Average job 35 hours . Big job 60 hours .

That good work and a good bike! I didn't know there was a Bandit 250, I had 2 1250's and they were a lot of fun.
Yeah, Japanese domestic market only, but some were imported into NZ back in the 90’s.
They are all at the stage now where the engines are fairly worn and compression low, starting issues, flat batteries, worn out starter motors etc.
A good tidy one will fetch 2500 to 3k here.
They start developing power at 10k rpm and redline at 15k. At 60 mph they pull 8500rpm, top speed 90 mph with a tail wind and a downhill run lmao!
funny wee bike after riding a Busa for years lol.

Well, after 6 months of slow and steady work on this baby Bandit, I've finally completed the repairs and ready to hand it back to the owner . . . I wonder if he remembers about it lol.
I fitted a carb rebuild kit, jets, o-rings, gaskets, needles and seats, and man what a difference that made to the tune, it idles smooth as a baby's bum and the power is there when you open the throttle, it was bogging down and running lean before.
The kit cost $18 from China, and fitted up well, no problems at all.
Here's a walk around and start up and a little insight into my Busa maintenance in my garage, fuel pump overhaul with a new pump motor ready to fit.

video_restricted.png

Well, after 6 months of slow and steady work on this baby Bandit, I've finally completed the repairs and ready to hand it back to the owner . . . I wonder if he remembers about it lol.
I fitted a carb rebuild kit, jets, o-rings, gaskets, needles and seats, and man what a difference that made to the tune, it idles smooth as a baby's bum and the power is there when you open the throttle, it was bogging down and running lean before.
Here's a walk around and start up and a little insight into my Busa maintenance in my garage, fuel pump overhaul with a new pump motor ready to fit.
Kiwi The Man with The Magic Hands make sure your man releases what a good job you did to his bike

But, you (are) a mechanic right?

What a great video. So clear. So precise. Definitely a learning moment. I learned that you dislike everyone so much that we have no access........

Lmao

Your sir are Still awarded 1 pie
Yeah, sorry about that but I had the private setting on by mistake when I uploaded it to YouTube lol.
I’ve fixed that, view to your hearts content :thumbsup:

Back