Issue Starting

Phillip W

Registered
I have a 2002 Hayabusa and having an issue with starting the bike. I have a new battery, new air filter, and just changed the plugs. It takes an exceptionally long time to start whether it is hot or cold. It came with a full muzzy exhaust, and I recently put on a shorty exhaust tip. The battery is always on a tender. It seems almost as if while starting I have to roll on the throttle on and off to get it to start. this is very frustrating, and its not showing any F1 codes. this appears to have been getting progressively worse. I am wondering if the addition of the shorty pipe have affected any back pressure that may be creating an issue. I have ordered a PCV hoping that perhaps its just an issue of tuning. When I just changed the plugs thinking they may have been fouled, they did look good, in which they were changed a year ago. Any ideas as to what I should be checking?

How funny, I just posted a similar problem. https://www.hayabusa.org/forum/threads/2003-hayabusa-spark-problem.189754/
Probably do like I did and pull a spark plug and look for consistent spark.
I know people say to pull the power commander and see if that affects the problem.
Either way you need to figure out wither the problem is fuel, spark, compression, or engine just turning over too slow.
Yours sounds like fuel to me. If it is then give a quick shot of starting fluid into the throttle bodies before trying to start it. If it fires up instantly then you'll know it's not getting enough fuel soon enough.

I put the bike in dealer mode and received a C11 code indicating camshaft position sensor, I pulled the sensor off and noticed it had alot of oil on it. the connection sppears good and no wire breaks etc. I am thinking to just replace the part and see what happens?????

If the starting problem got worse with the shorty tip, then put the Muzzy muffler back on and see what happens.
If you have a stock fuel map, and now essentially a straight header, it can cause some performance issues.
I would alos bet that the valves are in spec, but it never hurts to check them.
Busas don't tend to have issues from valves going out of spec, but some engines have hard starts when they do.
Even though it's likely not the problem, process of elimination.
As said above, check your fuel filter. Early Busas have problems with clogging filters and failing pumps.

Still having this issue, put the bike in a local shop and after 10 hrs still cant locate the issue. They checked valves, ECU, timing, did a sync of throttle body, checked all sensors and rectifier and still no answers, placed tank of a known working busa on and still same issue. This is getting expensive real quick.

dealer did a throttle body sync and same issue, however everything else checks out fine! I lover this bike but im honestly thinking about selling it. any suggestions would be welcomed

Phillip
Have you done as mentioned a couple times and checked the fuel filter?
What was done to address the C11 code?
Did the Cam Shaft Position Sensor get cleaned or replaced?

Finally PROBLEM SOLVED. After approximately 1 yr of chasing this issue and not riding it as much as I would have not knowing the reliability I have fixed this. I had the throttle bodies synced, I had a shop tell me I had low compression and rebuilt the top of the motor, I have changed the battery several times. The fix was I decided to order a new stator in which came with the ckp sensor and rectifier for $95. I put it on and decided to start it up and make sure it was working before I had plans to change the starter also in which I found a new one for $85 in Milledgeville GA. It started a lot faster I immediately noticed. Got to operating temperature and shut it off. It started up again immediately without any hesitation. I literally spent close to 2k chasing this issue in 1 year. Thank God is all I can say

Sorry Im not understanding which part it was - the crank position sensor?
I was wondering that too, if the stator was changed on a gen1 busa the stator winding and ckps are combined, I got a quote of £296 from my Suzuki dealer, got one from m&p in Cardiff for £84, it fixed my bike, now, it's flying, how it should.

Back