Is this just a southern thing?

Guns in schools....I like it :thumbsup:

Good gosh, me too. There's no telling how many ex-military or similarly trained students are attending school at campuses all across this country. I think people with the right background should be allowed to carry on campus and in class. Of course it's not all that simple and organized training would have to take place involving the university and local PD, but I definitely think steps need to be taken in that direction.

Little known fact: Students at the University of Tennessee are allowed to keep weapons in their dorm room if it is required for their employment. They just have to get an approval letter from the Chief of the UTPD.

Good gosh, me too. There's no telling how many ex-military or similarly trained students are attending school at campuses all across this country. I think people with the right background should be allowed to carry on campus and in class. Of course it's not all that simple and organized training would have to take place involving the university and local PD, but I definitely think steps need to be taken in that direction.

Little known fact: Students at the University of Tennessee are allowed to keep weapons in their dorm room if it is required for their employment. They just have to get an approval letter from the Chief of the UTPD.

I dont think I agree with the carrying in class part. Thats a bit over the top for me unless you’re off duty PD. I do think they should teach gun safety and if you pass enough classes that you should be allowed to keep it in your dorm or in common areas of the school grounds.

lil charlie said:
I dont think I agree with the carrying in class part. Thats a bit over the top for me unless you’re off duty PD. I do think they should teach gun safety and if you pass enough classes that you should be allowed to keep it in your dorm or in common areas of the school grounds.

I'm not saying that just any person with a carry permit should be allowed to go to class armed, but certain people with valid and extensive weapons training should be allowed. They should also be required to pass extra training covering densely crowded shoot/no-shoot situations. Something along the lines of an Air Marshal is what I'm getting at, but in a voluntary capacity. Someone who is just be a regular student until TSHTF.

I think one of the biggest challenges would be coordination between those people and the PD, so the wrong people aren't taken down when the cavalry arrives.

Either way, I respect your opinion. :thumbsup:

Sent from my iPhone using The Force

School shootings have been going on since the 1800's. 1700's if you count indian attacks. There have been 90 school shootings since 1966 resulting in 231 deaths. Only 13 of those school shootings didn't result in any deaths. I can't tell you how happy I am that I am done with college now. Their idea of making students safe is to lock the doors that have windows on them. Not to mention the two 10' X 20' windows every classroom had. If some madman wants to go kill as many people as possible what says unarmed fish in a barrel more than a school. Not saying everyone should have a gun and most people probably wouldn't want to have one even if they could. But at least some of the people should be allowed to have a gun. Maybe even take a very difficult special course with a strict background check to be able to carry on campus. Something needs to be done about this.

Back