Is this a scam? I thought so...

Aquaman

Banned Permanently By MC Mustang
Marlene is looking to get a bike. So I found this great deal on this 07 gixxer. The price seems very low, and between the emails, i kinda thought it was suspicious.
I will include the link to the Ad as well as the Emails we shared. Please gimme your honest opinion...

link to AD:
SportBikeClassifieds.com - 2007 Suzuki GSXR 750 for sale

Emails:
1st email from me:

Would you take 5 grand cash and I will drive from mass to pick it up sight unseen?
It is for my girlfriend who is looking for a bike. I own a hayabusa and a 06 gixxer 750

His reply:

Hello,
I saw your email and i want to tell you that my bike is still for sale.It was used just for pleasure and was never dropped. Also it has a clean and clear title. Periodically i changed the oil and after every ride i washed it. Most of the time i kept it in garage because my job did not allow me to have too much free time ,i work on an offshore.I am looking forward to get your email. Let me know.
Thank you!

His reply again reply:

Hello,
My bike is located in TX now and i am not able to meet up with you because i am working on an offshore and i'll be home in 2 weeks. My bike is deposited to a shipping company and if you are interested i could ship it to you. Let me know. Thank you!

My reply:

SCAMMER!!! you actually think I'm gonna send you money and wait around for you to never ever ship me the bike?
Get real bud......

his reply:

Sir, please don't get cute with me and do not offend me, if you think i am joking, come here and pick up in 2 weeks when i'll be home. That is not a problem for me. Have a nice day!

My reply:

How would I not think it is a joke? You list the bike as being in New York, now you say it is Texas and want to ship it to me!
What does that sound like to you. Look, I'm not trying to be cute with you and sorry if I offended you.

If you are as serious about selling this to me as I am in purchasing it, I will have to see the bike as well as you in person.
You can call me on my cell to further discuss this...
978-317-8712

Brendan

Ps. you have to understand, there ar a lot of scams out there. I am way too smart for scams.
The reason I replied to your AD is because it was driving distance for me...

I havn't heard back from him!!!

His reply:

Hello,
I saw your email and i want to tell you that my bike is still for sale.It was used just for pleasure and was never dropped. Also it has a clean and clear title. Periodically i changed the oil and after every ride i washed it. Most of the time i kept it in garage because my job did not allow me to have too much free time ,i work on an offshore.I am looking forward to get your email. Let me know.
Thank you!

His reply again reply:

Hello,
My bike is located in TX now and i am not able to meet up with you because i am working on an offshore and i'll be home in 2 weeks. My bike is deposited to a shipping company and if you are interested i could ship it to you. Let me know. Thank you!

I havn't heard back from him!!!

I would bet money that it is a scam.

I have had MULTIPLE off-shore scams, none of which I believed (thank God!), but they all looked very similar to that.

They are all surprisingly similar, and from what I understand a lot of them are coming from Nigeria.

You can usually tell it is a scam based off of the spelling and grammatical errors, as well as saying things that don't add up or make sense.

"I work on an offshore." is an incomplete sentence that would have sent up a red flag, also I would have taken the way he talked about taking care of his bike and about changing the oil as a red flag.

also, if he sent his second email before you replied to his first, that would be another flag.

stay safe!:thumbsup:

Yes, I found it funny as to him saying "he works on an offshore"
Offshore what??
Why would he list it in brooklyn ny and then say it is located in Texas and will ship to me?
What does he think i'm a total Moron?:poke:

Sounds like it. A scam

Last edited:
Scam!!! I've had a few dealings with people like this. Pretty much exactly the same emails, too. If I were you I wouldn't deal with him anymore.

99% chance it is a scam...i think he is trying to say he works on an off-shore rig (presumably in the Gulf), i don't think i would believe he rides a 750 gixxer from NY to TX for work :whistle:

Yeah, don't fall for it. There was a guy who just posted that he lost $3k to an EBAY scammer. Was supposed to be for a new engine. All EBAY will do is repay the victim out of the scammers cash. Of course there is no cash for EBAY to send.

How can anyone tell if something on EBAY if for real?

He just replied saying I have to come to Texas to see/buy the bike.
But funny how he listed in Brooklyn new your.

I told him he is a scam artist and will be reporting him to the classified ads he posted in... how pathetic are people?

Case closed thx:beerchug:

I think you are right, does sound a little fishy. If I were buyin' it, I would have to see it and even take it for a quick test ride...

D

Too late, I alreday told him to go "F" himself... he is a scammer of all scammers.:beerchug:

Did he give you a VIN? nope.....Scammer. Shame, you oughtta set up a meet in TX in two weeks and have some of our .org Texas brothers show up...

It would have been interesting to find out where in Texas he says he's at.

I had a similar scenario..in which I recognized as a scam and then watched his reactions to better understand this in the future...

It was a 2005 R1 Raven... 3500 lol... Pics looked excellent! duh..

He was a very smart guy. Very good english and half believeable.. But he said he lived in Canada and the bike was at a shipping co. etc etc.. Gave me a fake phone number from canada...

Heres the kicker:

He sent me an invoice "From ebay" that to the average person..looked like ebay!! It was authentic! Right down to the "do not share your information with anyone other than us blah blah"

It was an escrow type thing... total bs.

I told him I sent the email to ebay just to be sure it was ok... he disappeared.

Back