A scam??

pure_ego

enzyme of hypoverbage
Donating Member
Registered
I recently ordered a set of Handy Stands using a credit card...

Everything seemed cool.. I got this reply from Handy industries.. (email address: sales@handyindustries.com)

Thank you for ordering from the Handy Industries Online Catalog.
This email is to confirm your order of the following products.
Should you have any questions about your web order, please feel
free to contact us at 1-800-247-7594. Thanks again for your purchase.

Please Note: Prior approval is required for return or refund. Please call 800-247-7594 for approval. Returns or refunds may require customer to incur freight expense.

-----------------
Purchase Summary
-----------------
Order ID: 8654

Item 1
Product Name: Front/Rear Universal Stand Package
Attributes: #13001 Bobbin Support
Product Price: $99.00
Quantity: 1
Product ID: 13012

SubTotal: $99.00
Shipping: $10.56(UPS Standard Ground)
Handling: $0.00
State Tax: $0.00
Country Tax: $0.00
Grand Total: $109.56

Special Instructions:
User Name: ***************
Password: ***********
Use this information next time you order for quick access to your Customer Information.
[/QUOTE]

Everything seemed cool to me... then today I download my email and I find this from "Wildasin Enterprise" (email: Wildasin@sun-link.com)

Hi William. Handy Industries has forwarded your order to us at Wildasin Enterprises. We are the distributor of Handy products for your area. Due to legal reasons however, your credit card information cannot be forwarded to us. Also, the shipping was not calculated correctly & your total would be $115.97. Please call us at 1-800-242-6451 so we can fulfill your order.
Thanks. Peg @ Wildasin Enterprises. [/QUOTE]

I replied to handy industries with the following...

I got this in an email from wildasin@sun-link.com..

Hi William. Handy Industries has forwarded your order to us at Wildasin Enterprises. We are the distributor of Handy products for your area. Due to legal reasons however, your credit card information cannot be forwarded to us. Also, the shipping was not calculated correctly & your total would be $115.97. Please call us at 1-800-242-6451 so we can fulfill your order.
Thanks. Peg @ Wildasin Enterprises.

I figure this is a scam... if not you all really need to revise the way you process orders/shipping.

Im not sure if the security leak is on my side... or yours. either way it's scary.

can you explain it?

I haven't called the number.. or even taken it seriously. If for some reason it's a legitmate thing.... I'm not paying the extra shipping... So you guys will hafta figure out if your shipping it for what was stated.. or just cancel the order.

Like I said.. i figure it's a scam.. but this is the first time i've ever bought anything from you.. so who knows.

Let me know ASAP please.
William Rutherford

[/QUOTE]

whatya make of it? Is it a well known scam that I just don't know about ... or ?

its kinda scary to think that somebody knows enough to have figured out that I ordered such and such a product from such and such... wonder how close they came to getting my card anyway...

thats all assuming it's a scam of course.. we'll see though.

I wouldn't respond to them. See what Handy says. The whole shipping thing would piss me off.

Seems wierd that a company would pass on the order but not the credit info.

It IS a scam! Handy will be sending your stand.s , NOT someone else! And you,ll be glad you ordered them.
smile.gif

Everybody i've talked to says the handy stands are just awesome for the money.. which is great..

I fully expect this to be a scam.. I can't imagine any business doing this...

I don't think a business like Handy would hand it off to some small time dealer. A rule of thumb that I follow is any email requesting any personal info is a scam. I've gotten a couple of scam emails claiming they were from ebay. They wanted me to 'update my profile' and it seemed all genuine...looked good, but I sent ebay a copy of the email and they told me it is a scam. Also, companies are usually pretty good about orders, when and if they screw up an order, they usually eat it (especially $6) or at least offer you to cancel. I wouldn't trust it...if anything, just wait a few days and see what happens. BTW, did you try the 800 number that they gave you? I would call them with the order number and see what they say.

It is a scam I just orderd stands from Handy and recievied the first e-mail you did comfirming my order with the same price as yours. I have not recieved any further e-mails from any one else. I would call Handy and let them know that these people are trying to do this to them.

I'm not sure ... Could be something between them and the local distributors of their products. Kinda like ok we will market your product but since you can always undersale us we handle all local sales or/and tax an extra S&H charge. Who knows but I wouldn't respond to anything not coming directly from handy... Sounds Scary
sad.gif

Unbelievably enough I called Handy Stands directly and talked to them..

it's a legitmate thing... even down to the wrong shipping charges...

I told the lady the deal ya know.. like.. "uh.. you realize I've showed this to about 20 people and they all looked at it and said SCAM!.. just as fast as I did..?"

She just kinda acted like whatever... you need to call them because it's faster to get your stuff...

which is nice I guess... but still.. that ridiculous. I want the stands... but I'd really love to tell them to cancel the order too.. haha I guess we'll see about this extra shipping thing...

pure_ego how long after you ordered your stands did you get the second e-mail. I ordered my stands about 3 days ago and have not got another e-mail from anybody.

it's kinda ridiculous... I told handy industries to just ship them to me straight from them even if it did take a few extra days..

They said this "warehouse" is in Pennsylvania... but I still don't understand why the shipping is higher from PA.. than it is from Iowa... makes no sense..

whatever... handy doesn't make anything else i'm interested in anyway so i guess it'll all work out.

read the whole post.. i've called handy twice... they act like

"take em' or leave em', we dont' give a poop just leave us alone already!"

Basically I tried to express my concern/problem with the whole thing and she was basically just saying yeah, uh huh,, yes,, ok.. we'll get those shipped.. ok.. uh huh...

never once paid any attention.. never once acted like she gave a poop what my problem.. and I honestly believe that she wouldn't have given a poop if I'd cancelled the order and said the SHE was the only reason I did so...

like I said.. handy only makes one thing i'm interested in.. .and thats these stands... after I get them i'll never shop for anything there again even if I thought they had somethign I wanted.

Props to you Ego, I wouldn't have that kind of patience...someone plays games with me, and especially doesn't give a crap about my business, I would cancel my order immediately, give them a piece of my mind, and buy another brand even if I had to pay $50 more. I'm big on the principle thing I guess. Good luck with them and I hope they don't play around with you anymore.

if it was only $50 I would have thought more seriously about cancelling the order... but the handy stands run $100 bucks for the front/rear set...

most others cost 40-50$ more for the front, and rear.. so your lookin at $100 more for a good set...

My "tightwad" side overpowered the "fug off" side when the $$$ went over 60$.

Back