Is passenger grab bar required for SW-Motech side bag mount?

Sous

Donating Member
Registered
I am looking to get the SW-Motech side bag mounts for the Givi E360 side bags.

Is the grab bar required for the rack to be mounted properly? The directions for mounting are not real specific, and any picture I have seen the bar is not visible or they have the rear top mount also.

Hi Sous:

I have the side and also the rear adaptors for the Givi Bags. If you are going with only the side bags then yes you will need the Rear grab rail as a mounting point for the adaptors that fit to the bike. If you are also using the rear top case also then you must remove the grab rail and put on their specific rear mounting plate.I found that when I was not using the rear top case I did not like the look of their rear mounting bracket and kept having to remove it. Also could not use the hump if memory serves me right. So I modified the base of my stock seat (which I do not use, have a Corbin) to hold the adaptor plate, so I could mount the top case on the passenger seat. See photos below:
_MG_1494 - Version 3.jpg

_MG_1501.jpg

_MG_1523.jpg

_MG_1499 - Version 2.jpg

_MG_1500.jpg

_MG_1508 - Version 2.jpg

_MG_1528 - Version 2.jpg

_MG_1520 - Version 2.jpg

_MG_1519 - Version 2 (1).jpg

_MG_1522.jpg

_MG_1526.jpg

Hope this anwsers your question. FYI the system is really very nice. Give a lot of carrying capacity and is waterproof. Can easily carry a weeks supply of gear for a longer trip, especially if you add a tank bag.

Take care.

Rumble

_MG_1494 - Version 3.jpg

_MG_1499 - Version 2.jpg

_MG_1500.jpg

_MG_1501.jpg

_MG_1508 - Version 2.jpg

_MG_1519 - Version 2 (1).jpg

_MG_1520 - Version 2.jpg

_MG_1522.jpg

_MG_1523.jpg

_MG_1526.jpg

_MG_1528 - Version 2.jpg

Rumble I really like the Givi Bag set up and the Gilles chain adjusters. I have a set I haven't pt on yet . I bought new off of an owner who didn't put them on . I will use my standard axle nut. How important is their titanium nut? Important enough I should order one before swapping out the adjusters?

Did you drill and tap the swingarm in order to affix permanently on the bike? Thanks Wardie

Rumble, that is exactly the information I needed. Thanks for the close up pictures, I am one of those guys that learns best by studying pictures.

Looks like all you did for the top bag was take the base of the stock seat and mount the Givi bracket to it, is that about right?

I plan to have the same set up as you with the twin Corbin seats w/ back rest, and side Givi bags. I may or may not end up getting the top mount bag, but have not decided yet.

Sous:

That is exactly what I did with my stock rear seat. If you are careful you can remove the plate and still keep the vinyl in-tacked on the foam, and can reinstall the base down the road if you ever sell the bike, that way you can keep the corbins to either sell or perhaps use on a new ride.
I used 3 bolts to fasten the Givi plate to the seat base, and seems to hold fairly well. Am not sure how much weight the 3 bolts will hold at speed, but feel that 20-25 lbs would be OK. I would pack my lighter items in the top case anyhow. I also makes for a good helmet holder when touring so not carrying your helmet into restaurants etc.

Wardie:

I did not have to make any modifications to my swingarm to attach the Gillies chain adjusters. And with them, yes you use the stock axle and nut?
I did not have any problems with the stock axle nut (always torque down to spec 100Nm). However use locktite on the bolts that attach the outside of the adjuster to the inner securing clamp, there are two bolts there (10mm bolts I believe) as they can back out due to vibration while riding. Don't ask how I know.:whistle: Could lead to some bad consequences.

Rumble.

Back