Is it normal?

(Postal @ Apr. 19 2007,10:23) Personally, I would never use a credit card to purchase a MC, car, jet ski, etc. Join a credit union if you have to finance your MC.  Credit Unions usually have the best financing deals and interest rates.

My ultimate advice to anyone buying a MC is to save up your money and pay cash. You will save big dollars in the long run.

P.

beerchug.gif

ps: Some credit unions take anyone as a member. I have a great credit union in Topeka KS. Here is their info:

Topeka Post Office Credit Union
424 S Kansas Ave
PO Box 1097
Topeka KS 66601
785-233-4323

Ask them about joining. Tell them Tom from DC sent you.
It was a little easier for me just to put it on the CC. Then when the cc bill comes, it gets payed in full.

(Postal @ Apr. 19 2007,13:23) Personally, I would never use a credit card to purchase a MC, car, jet ski, etc. Join a credit union if you have to finance your MC.  Credit Unions usually have the best financing deals and interest rates.

My ultimate advice to anyone buying a MC is to save up your money and pay cash. You will save big dollars in the long run.

P.

beerchug.gif

ps: Some credit unions take anyone as a member. I have a great credit union in Topeka KS. Here is their info:

Topeka Post Office Credit Union
424 S Kansas Ave
PO Box 1097
Topeka KS 66601
785-233-4323

Ask them about joining. Tell them Tom from DC sent you.
Not to hijack the thread, but I love my credit union too. Super nice people, get money for whatever I want, whenever I want it. I don't have to "explain/justify" anything.

If you can avoid paying by CC then do it.

Back to the thread, I wouldn't be upset about a surcharge for the CC *if* I knew about it *before* I put a deposit down on the bike. I would be upset if my plan was to pay for the bike by CC and I didn't know about it until later.

When I bought my 06 they told me the same thing.. a charge for using my CC, I thought that was lame, but they pushed suzuki financing which was no different then a CC, just another revolving credit.  And promised no fees/charges or interest the first 30 days

So I used that to get out the door.  Paid it off 30 days later with my CC and then paid that off 30 days later.  

Moral to the story, I got to float $10K for 60 days with no cost to me and turned 5% in a money market on the cash in hand.  I disagree with those that say always pay with cash.  I made a profit letting someone else pay for it.  
firedevil.gif

Having a business and charging to use a credit card wrong, yes, you pay for the machine, and per transaction, but that's the penalty you pay for allowing someone that doesn't have cash to buy from you. To allow credit card purchases you generate more business. You make up for your fees in selling more product. That's the way i see it.Smaller businesses may not accept credit cards for the reason that it is wrong to charge for them, but a Dealer??? Come on, that's wrong. They make more than enough money to pay for those fees.

I purchased a Honda F12X (PWC) about two years ago and put $10K on my CC just cause i didn't want to mess with going to the bank for the money or going back home for my check book, it was an impulse purchase and i probably would not have purchased it if I had to leave and had time to think about it. Going thru the hassle of opening a new line of credit with the dealerships loan department was not worth it either since i would be paying it off as soon as the bill came in anyway. Too bad Debit cards have a daily limit on them or i would have just used that. As for a charge for using a CC, I would have walked. If they take CC for smaller purchases for free then they need to eat the fee as a courtesy to thier customers.

In Alberta every dealer I have been to says there is a 2-3% fee for cc purchases over 1000.00. Lots of places flat out will not take a cc for major purchases.

I used my debit card for a 5000 purchase, just had to call the bank to get them to set it up.

The difference between smaller purchases and buying a bike is that the price of most smaller purchases are already set. I know a lot of car dealers that will sell you a new car for $100 over their invoice price. If you then spring it on them that you're going to put a, lets say, $20k car on a credit card which will cost them 3%, they are losing $500 on the sale.

Car and bike sales are always negotiated. If you were paying MSRP, I'm sure they wouldn't balk when you pulled out your plastic, but if their profit is already down to a couple hundred bucks, your convenience could be putting them into the red, and that's not fair to them.

First of all let me state this. It has nothing to do with having the cash. I have a really great deal with the cc so i figured what the hay. I told them i would show up with the cash and they wanted to do no dealing. So I said why in the hell would I float out 10k and your not willing to work a deal? Then i put on cc like I did the last one they get their money and I get my bike. Turbo Torch i live by NW indiana and I would sure like to know where you got a BRAND NEW busa out the door for 9700. I went to a couple of dealerships across the stateline there and they were the most outrageous priced machines. They wanted 11,300 otd plus I get to pay a couple of hundo more to cover my state taxes and plates. It was kind of an impulse thing too I mean I hate dealing with banks because I like to have my titles right away. Bad experience with a bank on that one. Banks usually just want to much up front and then they jack you around about the rates. I hate haggling. Thats why when this guy told me 10,67 otd I wanted to jump on it. I seriously am just sick and tired of dealerships and shops a like taking this shiddy attitude because its a sportbike and you aint shid attitude. I would gladly go back to the days when it was diffucult to get financed for a bike and not everyone and the brother had one. I mean seriously you walked into a dealer in the 90's and you had people that wanted to sell a bike. Not some jive ass kid sayin well I am not breaking in price at all because if you don't buy it some other poor sucker that doesn't know anything will.

Xtreme Motorsports
6647 Kennedy Ave
Hammond, IN 46323
Tel: (219) 844-4400

Loomis Cycle in Merrillville was also in the same price range and closer to me but they wouldn't get off their ass and get me the color I wanted. I'd have to look up the exact price on the receipt...it was like $9100 for the bike and $600 in fees. I think it was $9763 at Xtreme and Loomis was a bit cheaper at $9723 but couldn't deliver. That was for the standard colors, neither place would let the red LE go for less than $10,300. Those weren't left over prices either, I bought my '04 in April of '04.

It's unbelievable on how hard you guys get hit with sales tax...aren't you at 9% now? At least your plates are cheaper than ours.

Wow Turbo thats weird cause I went to Xtreme and they were just through the roof. wanted to buy right then and there and he would not budge on that 11,342 otd. I was like man its a Busa not anything more. I just think that these dealers have let the whole motorcycle thing goto the head. Then as I was walking out the door, they were tryin to play that game. I mean another salesman was like damn man what did you do run them out the door? And the guy I was dealing with was like well they will realize we have the best deal. I turned to him and said look man I don't really like bein messed with, I was ready to buy a bike today and you are basically telling me that after all is said and done I am payin 11,600 out the door. Sorry but I am NOT gonna pay MSRP. That is why I WONT be back.

Anyhow I am glad to see you got a good deal. I hear about guys getting these bikes for 9 something out the door. I just wish I could get that.

Back