is it bad to run with no muffler?

All I know is that totally open pipes do, in fact, affect us all in terms of public opinion and harsher legislation. I'm not the "voice of the nerd" or the "sound police"....just a person that reads legislation and with a lot of court appearances behind my belt. I don't want to be a sour grapes jerk....I just want us to collectively have a higher sensitivity about who is watching and listening. It's the same deal when one of us passes 3 cars doing a wheelie across a double line. There really is a time and place for everything.
Raydog

So I am guessing we should just ban all after market exhaust systems.

I am good with that :thumbsup:

I have heard it robs the HP?
Usually opening up the exhaust like this kills your bottom end, but can breathe better on top. Sometimes it's subtle and you need a dyno to tell.

I have a Supertrapp on my hotrodded Sportster, running 21 discs per the spec from Branch Flowmetrics who developed the engine mods (heads, cam, carbs, and pipes). With 21 discs it is very loud when you whack open the throttle. To get the bike through inspection, I will pull 10 discs out of the Supertrapp, which makes the bike much quieter. It rides just fine, but the top end (5500-7000 rpm) is totally flat. On the other end, the engine picks up a lot of power in the 2500-4500 rpm band with the discs removed.

Last edited:
So I am guessing we should just ban all after market exhaust systems.

I am good with that :thumbsup:

I'm not suggesting BANNING anything (I hate the implications of that word!). As a matter of fact I love my Muzzy Carbon system....I guess what I'm saying is that when I've ridden with guys with open pipes, I actually get embarassed with the sound. Of course my Muzzy is way loud when speed shifting at 10,000 rpm....BUT, I can putt through small towns with pedestrians and nobody even looks up, including police.
Another point, you cannot maintain the same performance from an open pipe when you baffle it....as compared to a high performance muffler on a full system. You can knock the sound down a little bit with an inserted baffle but exhaust flow is also restricted at a much higher level than with a full system. I learned that from two dyno operators. If it's just "that look" one is seeking, I can't argue since it's personal choice....I can make the point, however, about public relations. Raydog

I have a set of slash cut tips and bought some universal baffles and put into them and it is no louder than the D&D FS on my zx11.

Its going to be freaking loud,going to damage your ear drums.If properly tune your torque would be good but reaching the top end will very slow compared to a full system.

Back